I need some advice please

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Berryb

I need some advice please

Post by Berryb »

I have an opportunity to buy what I think is an R7833. It's not in great shape. It has been sharpened down to a nub is the biggest problem. Bone not too bad, no wobble, good snap. I know that in good shape it's a pretty high end knife but is it one that is desirable in any condition. I have a pretty high tolerance for honest wear but don't want to over do it for junk either. Thanks
Bruce
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: I need some advice please

Post by bestgear »

Hi Bruce - I think knife collecting is like most other collections; if you can buy a specimen to fill a slot maybe you can upgrade it at a later point. IMHO, having 1 in your collection with flaws you can live with, is better than not having one at all but to each his own. I have a low tolerance for heavily worn blades, broken blades, missing bails and chipped handles but that me. I'd rather not have a specimen with those flaws but everyone's tolerance is different.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I'm going to guess that an R7833 is a Remington. However, it really doesn't matter what the knife is. It's either in a condition that you deem acceptable or it isn't. If you deem the knife and the price to be something that you can live with, then get it. If you think you'll regret it, pass.

I think everyone has made mistakes buying knives. I have. If I feel I made a mistake, then I sell it or trade it. This process doesn't just relate to knives, it goes for just about anything we might buy used, cars, motorcycles, guns, whatever. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

Think about it carefully, weigh all your options, place your bet and roll the dice...

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bruce,
When you use the words junk and nub, if that describes the Remington, then the price should fit the product. There is some mention of the R7833 here on AAPK recognizing the rarity of that pattern and also the fact that replacement blades might be very difficult to obtain. In my camp, if the price is right for the condition I can live with it.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'd avoid it and hold out for an example that's at least usable. However, if frame is good, it could be a great parts candidate.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'd buy it. The R7833 is extremely rare and if the price was good you can't go wrong. I don't have one because I've never seen one. If you get it and Don't like it sell it to me. Might be the only one you ever come across. JMHO
Keith
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

thanks guys, I'm gonna' take another long look at it tomorrow and see if I can swing a deal with some others he's got. I'll post pics if I end up with it.
Bruce
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here are pictures of my R7833. It's a large knife at 4 1/2" on a pretty frame with pinched bolsters. My knife is in decent shape. The handles are fabulous, but blades are cleaned, slightly pitted, missing the etch, and have been sharpened. Like Keith says, they are hard to come by so I am happy to have it even if it is not perfect. :)
Attachments
Remington R7833
Remington R7833
Remington R7833
Remington R7833
Remington R7833
Remington R7833
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a fine looking knife!
Joe
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

My 2 cents worth, About 1 1/2 years ago I bought a Case knife of ebay with clear pictures that the primary
blade was basically a nub. When I got the knife, everything looked great (obviously well used but not
abused) except that primary blade. I took it to a knife sharpening store who sharpened the blades, but
the primary blade really came up small. I can't blame the sharpener. If I had to do it again, I would
not have bought the knife. A well used knife will not have a full blade, but this just looks crazy short.

Bob
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

For me a lot would depend on the price. If I could get the knife for a low price I might buy it. If it was going to cost a good bit of money I most likely would pass on it, but that's just me.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I was almost certain you had one Jerry, was actually looking for it in other posts. A great example of a rare knife.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Here is that Case with nub blades I spoke about yesterday. I did not remember that even the small

blade is a nub. Otherwise, the knife is just beautiful- great scales and snap. I decided to

carry it today.

Bob

Case 6244, 1970, 3.25 inch, 37 gm
Attachments
Case.6244.jpg
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

So I went in to Missoula and made a deal and ended up with these 3. 2 Remingtons; an R7833 and an R2213, and a mystery camper. Even with all the off road miles, these Remingtons are gorgeous. I have a couple more questions: the 7833 small blade has what appears to be old dried grease on it. It could be varnish. I tried rubbing it with vegetable oil and a paper towel, the most abrasive thing I've used so far is my thumbnail but it's not coming off too well. Any suggestions? Also I have some questions about the camper, what's the best thread to post them on. Thanks again
Bruce
Attachments
IMG_4861.JPG
IMG_4860.JPG
espn77

Post by espn77 »

You did good Bruce. Nice knives
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Dried grease and oil can be removed with rubbing alcohol.
Roger
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Re: your USA stamped utility knife. Back in 2009, Hawke posted; viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14802

"USA <-Stamped Tang knife makers

Postby Hawke » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:50 pm

Id like to compile a List of knife makers who used the "USA" (only that, USA) stamp on the tang.
Ill update this top post with the input to consolidate it.
Side note, I heard of a town in Japan or China once that they named USA (without periods) so they could stamp things with it. Unsure on the truth in this.

Thx in advance

"USA"
1. Knives made by Kingston for the U.S. Army
2. Colonial
3. Novelty Knife Co. U.S.A.
4. Camillus. Note the spiral punch, that's a sure sign
5. Camillus for Sears

"Made In USA"
1. Camillus. Note the spiral punch, that's a sure sign
2. Camillus for Sears"

Someone else suggested Robeson but you would have to check with Charlie on that.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”