Late model ink stamp

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Remumc

Late model ink stamp

Post by Remumc »

Nice example of a late ink stamped Remington.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-REMINGT ... SwUKxYkgMw
tallguy606

Re: Late model ink stamp

Post by tallguy606 »

Not really sure what "ink stamp" means. But a while back, I bought a Remington R14 (as I recall) whittler that was clearly a Camillus knife, stamped 72 on tang and the other side of the tang, in tiny script, not stamped but ink-like, said Remington. Like an afterthought. This must have been done near the end of Camillus?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Remumc wrote:Nice example of a late ink stamped Remington.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-REMINGT ... SwUKxYkgMw
Are you talking about the etch on the main blade?
BTW, that seller is a member in good standing here on AAPK. Hell of a good guy and honest as the day is long.
tallguy606 wrote:Not really sure what "ink stamp" means. But a while back, I bought a Remington R14 (as I recall) whittler that was clearly a Camillus knife, stamped 72 on tang and the other side of the tang, in tiny script, not stamped but ink-like, said Remington. Like an afterthought. This must have been done near the end of Camillus?
Camillus made three different editions of the R14 (72 clone), all a little different depending on when they were made. Two had the tang stamped and one (no hard proof but I'm convinced it was the last one they made during the end of days) tang is etched. I could be wrong but I believe these are in the order they were made, first to last.
Remington-R14.JPG
Remington R-14W (Aug '14) - Open Mark - Labeled.JPG
Remington_R14 - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

remumc is referring to the pattern number on the back of the blade tang (see picture). The reason this is noteworthy is because this is very fragile and easy to wear off so it is unusual for an inked on stamp to survive for 75+ years. Some surmise using ink vs stamping was a cost cutting move that occurred near the end days of Remington's knife making business.
Remington inked on pattern number
Remington inked on pattern number
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks TX Jerry. Always learning something at AAPK.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The one Tom's got for sale is gone. Somebody liked it.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

Sorry for the late response! RalphAlsip has a good explanation. I did not mean it was faked. just that it is very rare to find in good condition. I believe the blade "etch" is also an ink stamp just like the pattern number on these late Remingtons. Just guessing but they must have been from the late 1930's?

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”