Remington's Cutlery Advertising and Marketing Strategies

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
espn77

Re: Remington's Cutlery Advertising and Marketing Strategies

Post by espn77 »

Thanks Rocky. That was a very interesting read.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Rocky read this post, I got a little confused. I have a R1823 with nice etch Remington Trade Mark. Remington in a circle Made in USA outside on master. Circle with Remington inside.

Harold
Attachments
R1823 etched.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Harold you have a correct knife. When Jim wrote this article he had not come across one with an etching and a stamped pattern number. Just like I have one with the stamped pattern number but no etching. Wore off. None of us who are Remington collectors can say we've seen it all just too many great and varied knives produced by Remington in their heyday! ::tu::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I pick up a WILD DUCK knife from Rodger.
Attachments
20180316_173157.jpg
20180316_173135.jpg
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Wow Keith, as I look back to past posts I see that you have a fantastic collection of advertising Remingtons. If you ever want to sell any of them please think to call me. Really love the tobacco leaf shield. Thanks, I really enjoy looking back. John D.
John
pearlroosterman

Wow Keith, as I look back to past posts I see that you have a fantastic collection of advertising Remingtons. If you ever want to sell any of them please think to call me. Really love the tobacco leaf shield. Thanks, I really enjoy looking back. John D.
John
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Oh my! That is a real hum dinger Keith! You know that you have a rare and very desirable knife right there buddy. I’m drooling over that show and tell Keith. Very very nice indeed! ::drool:: ::super_happy:: ::handshake::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks John, Rocky. I took a picture of all the advertising knives I have.
Attachments
20180701_200937.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Keith, that is an amazing group of advertisers. Impressive! ::tu:: ::tu::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Nice group of advertising knives Keith. I’m sure most are in mint condition or near mint condition. Just a comment about the Scandinavian knife and the Goodwill shoe knife. These knives I believe are not Remington produced knives. To the best of my knowledge I believe that the Scandinavian airplane knife was produced by an unauthorized cutlery company. The Scandinavian Airlines was founded in 1946. Long after the Remington cutlery era. On the tail of the knife you see SAS which was SAS cargo and that was an independent subsidiary of Scandinavian Airlines and again started around 1946. The plane knife replica represented the SAS 70 DC-3 which was first produced in the early to mid 1940’s. The 1st version of the DC plane was called the Douglas sleeper transport flown by American Airlines and that plane had the twin engine props. It was called the DC-2 which was first produced in 1934. The knife replica you have has the 4 prop engines, again initially manufacturing was outside of the Remington cutlery era. Like the lady's leg knife several cutlery companies produced theses knock off knives and rode the coat tails of the Remington’s trademark and popularity to gain a few dollars. A few unauthorized knock off knives produced were the lady’s leg knife, goodwill shoes knife, coke cola bottle knife, Scandinavian plane knife and a few “car” knives among others. Cool knives but not authorized or produced by the Remington cutlery company. None the less you have an exceptionally nice collection of original Remington cutlery advertising knives. ::tu:: ::super_happy:: ::handshake::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I appreciate that information Rocky. My impression of those two was that they were 60's or 70's knives. Didn't really research them. A guy say I was a Remington collector and gifted them to me.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Hey when your a Remington nut like you and me it’s all good Keith! I have a few boot leg knives in my collection as well. The info was really sharing for the novice Remington collector who might follow the thread. A lot of new collectors are “taken in” by the fake Remington stamp. I have seen some pay a lot of money for what they think is an original production Remington knife but in reality a knife only worth a couple of bucks. ::handshake::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Dimitri, Miller bros, gifted this to me today. I believe it to be a R7945. This is about as mint as they come. Thanks Dimitri. ::handshake::
Attachments
20180706_190108.jpg
20180706_190046.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

A few months ago John, pearlrooster, gifted me this pencil and letter that goes with my knife. Thanks John. I do love the advertising stuff. ::handshake::
Attachments
20180706_191813.jpg
20180706_191748.jpg
20180706_191725.jpg
pearlroosterman

Glad you enjoyed it. Goes really well together as a display. Very hard to find knife also. John
John
pearlroosterman

Keith, the little R7945 has the cheaper inlay handles, your knife is of better quality I believe. You have the imitation MOP handles, the knife itself is the same model used for the political knives produced in the 20’s. Great little knife. John
John
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Well done MB and John!That makes a nice package Keith. ::tu::
Roger
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks Roger
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Your welcome Keith!

That's going to fit right in with your other Remington advertising knives ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

AREMINGTONSEDGE wrote:,,,, Like the lady's leg knife several cutlery companies produced theses knock off knives and rode the coat tails of the Remington’s trademark and popularity to gain a few dollars. A few unauthorized knock off knives produced were the lady’s leg knife, ,,,,
Guys,
I recall from a long while back that there was a long and detailed discussion about the Ladies Leg Knife and what made one real vs. what made one counterfeit. For the life of me, I cannot find that thread. Seems like one of the clues was to do with the bottle of Nehi Soda and another had to do with the shoe of the lady and where the pin was set in it.
In a recent collection I got two of these knives. One is brass and I feel sure it is not real and the other I am not sure about. I'll attach a photo but if someone can find or recall that earlier thread, I can figure this out with that.

Ray
Attachments
1-IMG_2244.JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Ray you are correct. I believe the article was in the Oregon club newsletter where It gave indication as to how you could identify the different markings on a true Remington Nehi knife versus a counterfeit knife. Has a lot to do with the placement of the rivet, and with the bottom horizontal line on the Nehi bottle and so on...the article is there if I can find it I’ll re-posted. ::tu:: http://ibdennis.com/Nehi%200802a.pdf

My error it was an article in knife world.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Thank you Rocky! It never occurred to me to look there. As I suspected, both mine are fakes. Ah well, such is life. :) :)

Thanks again,
Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Your welcome Ray... I’m not good at looking up past discussions and info... but I did recall this in my internet Remington stuff. Glad I could help...feels good. ::handshake:: ::tu::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Glad you brought this up Ray. Probably the most produced non official Remington knife made. I only own one example and it's not a very good one. "My impression " is it's all about the bottle opener. If it sticks past the inside of the heal it's right. Flush with the heal it's not original???????

I believe mine to be original?????
Attachments
20180707_174624.jpg
20180707_174616.jpg
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

espn77 wrote:Glad you brought this up Ray. Probably the most produced non official Remington knife made. I only own one example and it's not a very good one. "My impression " is it's all about the bottle opener. If it sticks past the inside of the heal it's right. Flush with the heal it's not original???????

I believe mine to be original?????
Keith,
I believe you are correct. See how much higher the 'heel pin' on yours is placed versus mine which is set on the seam of the heel? To me that is the giveaway.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”