Remington question

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Umcknifeguy

Remington question

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Hey guys, I got a guestion about a remington tang stamp. Got a few knives that have the remington circle stamp and Remington UMO instead of UMC. These stamps are on 2 R100a knives I have That have enclosed back springs (dollar knives) This stamp is also on a celluloid lobster pattern that I have. I also have a standard R100a that has the circle remington UMC stamp. Does anyone know what the UMO is all about. Any info will be helpful. Thanks, Travis
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
remington collector

Re: Remington question

Post by remington collector »

I can't remember if I read it somewhere but I was always under the impression that it was a factory error. I've probably got a dozen or so Remingtons with the UMO tang stamp. I have no way of confirming, but I'd bet that all the UMO's were stamped during a relatively brief time frame. I haven't noticed any premimums being asked or paid for them though.
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Thanks Remington. That makes sense. Ive tried to research the remington arms co to find a UMO trade mark and havent found a thing.
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I also have read or been told about the UMO, but I can't recall what was said. It was probably here on AAPK.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”