Newbie needs a little help , please.

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Tombigbee

Newbie needs a little help , please.

Post by Tombigbee »

I'm not a collector, but here's the story.

Some time in the late 60's or early 70's I had a knife which I am almost sure was a Remington. I suppose you would call it a folding knife of sorts, but it was quite odd in that the handles rotated around the blade for storage, then rotated the other way for use. My memory is that they were micarta, but I could be wrong about that.

I lost this knife in an unfortunate manner and would love to find one, just for nostalgia's sake.

Can anyone help identify this knife? Any help appreciated.
Umcknifeguy

Re: Newbie needs a little help , please.

Post by Umcknifeguy »

That sounds like a really odd knife. I am a Remington collector but cant say ive ever heard of any thing like that. If there is one out there I would definately like to know about it. It would probably have been made on contract by another company. Ill do some checking aroun in the books and see if I can find something.
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

COULD THIS BE THE KNIFE THAT YOU ARE REFERING TO ? IT IS CALLED A "TUCKAWAY" FOLDING HUNTER . BARRY WOOD DESIGN .
Attachments
A37%20102.jpg
Tombigbee

Post by Tombigbee »

Many, many thanks for going to that effort. The Colt knife is indeed the one. Sorry for the confusion about Remington.

Do you know the years it was produced? Is it particularly valuable, and are they traded or sold occasionally?

Thanks again for your kind help.
Tombigbee

Post by Tombigbee »

May have partially answered one of my own questions. Can't believe I let that knife get away.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLT-KNIFE-VINTAGE- ... 35a8de329e
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

THIS PARTICULAR ISSUE WAS MADE IN THE EARLY TO MID SEVENTIES . IT WAS DISCONTINUED BY COLT IN 1978 BUT WOOD CONTINUED TO PRODUCE IT FOR AN UNKNOWN PERIOD OF TIME . THE LAST ONE THAT I SOLD ABOUT 7-8 YEARS AGO BROUGHT $150 BUT ACCORDING TO YOUR DISCOVERY THEY HAVE APPRECIATED GREATLY .

Bob R. (RIDGEWOOD CUTLERY)

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”