R3 W/Wood Scales

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
razor1

R3 W/Wood Scales

Post by razor1 »

I bought this knife 12 years ago at a hardware store that also sold Remington firearms.What was strange was the fact that the store sold Case and Schrade knives and not Remingtons but there in the display case lay this R3 ::nod:: After haggling with the salesman for a while I ended up with the knife.The knife was brand new but there was no box or paperwork with it,only a new Remington leather sheath. I don't know if the salesman was new or what but he didn't even know where the knife had came from ::shrug:: Sometime later I was thumbing through a Guns+Ammo magazine and there was an ad that showed the R3 with laminated wood scales just like the one that I had that you got free when you bought a Remington 700 rifle or 1100 shotgun ::nod:: Evidently someone didn't get their free knife when they bought their gun at the hardware store where I bought the knife ::paranoid:: I have looked at a lot of R3's and I havn't seen one yet like this one,so I am wondering if the only way to get this particular knife was through that sale's promotion ::shrug:: Hopefully somebody will see this post and enlighten me ::tu::
Razor 8)
Attachments
2008_0219repoint0002.JPG
2008_0219repoint0020.JPG
2008_0219repoint0029.JPG
Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammo! I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here!
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: R3 W/Wood Scales

Post by Paladin »

Razor,
I looked this one up in my catalog from the 1920-1940 period.
The R3 is shown as a barehead, stag handle, single spear blade, 3 3/8th inches long. I was always under the impression that the modern Rems were pretty much faithful to the old patterns. This knife would seem to debunk that idea.
Maybe someone will come along and offer a better idea as to what the story on this knife might be.
Remington Collector, are you out there?

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Remington Ron

Post by Remington Ron »

I believe that knife is made by camillus, it is the new era R series and it is a laminate wood. I have one of the R2 series in the same wood, it is a waterfowl knife. I believe the one that you have is the big game model. Those were made as a special edition and probably offered for sale with that big game rifle, that somebody didn't receive!
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

This is Camillus made in the mid-90s.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”