Case 75 blade bevel

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case 75 blade bevel

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

One of my favorite Case folding knives is the 75, either in the stockman or moose pattern. I picked up another one recently and right away I noticed that something was different about it. All of my previous 75 Case have the grind square across the blade with a well defined shoulder. These include older Case XX, and newer Case 75s made in the last 10 years. But the one I recently acquired that was made in 1985 has a different shoulder ground into the bevel. It is more rounded or radiused. It got me to wondering why Case did this and for how many years. Anyone know?
From top, 3375CV stockman, 6375 SS "Workman" stockman, 6375 XX stockman, 6275 XX Moose, and 6375.
IMG_4968.JPG
Bevel grind on 6375 CV from 2014
IMG_4969.JPG
Bevel grind on 6375 from 1985.
IMG_4971.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
313 Mike

Re: Case 75 blade bevel

Post by 313 Mike »

I believe that was referred to as "new grind". Article about it at the link below

https://knifedb.com/148/
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

313 Mike wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:43 pm I believe that was referred to as "new grind". Article about it at the link below

https://knifedb.com/148/
Interesting. Thanks for the info. My knife has all 3 blades with the " new grind".
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Yes called new grind. It went over like a fart in a diving helmet.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

BIGHEAD wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:13 am Yes called new grind. It went over like a fart in a diving helmet.
Barry, I agree many collectors think that lack of popularity of the ”new grind” was its downfall. Maybe so but the referenced article has some compelling evidence that manufacturing problems were a major contributor.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Ken personally I kinda liked the look but something was amiss evidently.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this 2 and 5/8" pen for a couple of bucks at the gun show recently. It has a Sabre, Ireland tang stamp, first one I've seen. Interestingly it appears to have the "new grind" on both blades. Was this most likely a product of the Jowicka plant in Ireland that Imperial acquired?
IMG_5562.JPG
IMG_5563.JPG

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”