Free Gift For Case Collector

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
bullitt4001

Free Gift For Case Collector

Post by bullitt4001 »

Greetings Gentlemen, I feel somewhat guilty for not posting here directly being that I’ve been an avid Case knife collector for many years.
Allow me to make it up to you all.
I would like to send one of you a free gift.
Don’t get too excited … it’s a book.
But not just any book. This book tells the true amazing story of the men, who out of the ashes of the Civil War, began a knife manufacturing empire that still endures today.
I know most of you who love Case knives, as I do, probably are already familiar with this great American success story. But for the Case aficionados here who aren’t, here’s an opportunity to learn of a great era in America’s history that I, for one, would hate to see Father Time put asunder.
Here’s the deal. This offer isn’t open to all members of AAPK but specifically for the Case knife collectors that regularly post in this section. You know who you are. I’ll post the recipient’s user name here once it’s on its way.
Further … my wish is whoever receives the book would kindly make it available to other interested members after reading. Think of it as a small contribution to help keep this true great American story alive for the next generation of collectors to be aware of.
First interested member who shoots me a pm with their address gets it.

Regards
Mike

P.S. For all other members there’s another copy of this book that I’m making available in an upcoming EBay auction that begins this Saturday night (12-31-22) at precisely 7:30 pm EST. Interestingly it features the only 3 antique knives I own. And two of them were purchased here over ten years ago from a member of AAPK. One of them was made by Henry Sears dated on the tang 1865. I happen to have a letter from the gentleman concerning the purchase and if a moderator is interested in seeing it I’ll be happy to send them a copy. I don’t have his permission to send it out to just anyone.
Attachments
7FD26413-17AF-4FB2-9DCA-49963315CCDF.jpeg
A fresh Band Aid is mans best friend
bullitt4001

Re: Free Gift For Case Collector

Post by bullitt4001 »

I’ve been contacted for the book by AAPK’s member 313 Mike. His book will be on its way tomorrow.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Very much appreciated. I will post here and offer it up to another member when I am done with it.

Here's a few of my older Case knives just for fun, a couple XX era, a couple XX USA, and a couple 8 dot 1972's.

Thanks again!
Attachments
20221227_110127.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Excellent book.. I have read my copy many, many times.. ::nod:: There are a few errors in it (dont remember which ones though ::facepalm:: ) but all in all its very informative.. ::tu::
Enjoy Mike!!!
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
bullitt4001

Post by bullitt4001 »

313 Mike wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:07 pm Very much appreciated. I will post here and offer it up to another member when I am done with it.

Here's a few of my older Case knives just for fun, a couple XX era, a couple XX USA, and a couple 8 dot 1972's.

Thanks again!
Nice Case collection Mike. I see the book fell into good hands. Enjoy!
bullitt4001

Post by bullitt4001 »

jmh58 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:30 pm Excellent book.. I have read my copy many, many times.. ::nod:: There are a few errors in it (dont remember which ones though ::facepalm:: ) but all in all its very informative.. ::tu::
Enjoy Mike!!!
John :D
I read it first awhile back. All the intrigue and behind the scenes goings on. So true how they say “life is stranger than fiction”. It was like reading a good suspense novel. I think the most surprising revelation was that Job Case (whose face adorns most Case products) never made a knife in his life or ran a business that did!
Attachments
DF67D4A9-7ACF-4871-BB4D-022A85223F25.jpeg
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Cool book!! Brad does a good job but he does gild the lily a little (not everything in the book is factual). Henry Sears & Sons 1865 was a brand name of Farwell, Ozmun, and Kirk, Henry Sears & Sons never made any knives, they were made for Farwell, Ozmun, & Kirk by several different manufacturers from 1897 to 1959 according to Goins, the date 1865 on the knife is not the date it was made. If you post a photo of the knife we may be able to identify the actual manufacturer.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very generous and congrats Mike.
bullitt4001

Post by bullitt4001 »

Gunsil wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:51 pm Cool book!! Brad does a good job but he does gild the lily a little (not everything in the book is factual). Henry Sears & Sons 1865 was a brand name of Farwell, Ozmun, and Kirk, Henry Sears & Sons never made any knives, they were made for Farwell, Ozmun, & Kirk by several different manufacturers from 1897 to 1959 according to Goins, the date 1865 on the knife is not the date it was made. If you post a photo of the knife we may be able to identify the actual manufacturer.
On the tang is printed Henry Sears & Son with the date 1865 in the center.
Unfortunately the photos on my IPhone look great in my camera but here not so much.
Attachments
52616191-DD8F-4A0F-86E3-F5F8B37BB089.jpeg
93E24157-FB4F-4A95-8FB6-90CFB1E21545.jpeg
D8F424C4-13F9-4FA0-90D3-A8C21B65F42B.jpeg
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I can't tell the maker from the photos, it's a pretty common pattern. Definitely a knife sold by Farwell, Ozmun, & Kirk. 1865 is just part of their logo, not when the knife was made. Thanks for posting photos. Some were made by Union Cut Co, some later by Utica, and a couple other companies made knives with that mark. Yours doesn't look like a Utica. Bone handles are easier to figure out maker of contract knives since some makers used specific bone jigging patterns. Maybe somebody else will recognize it.
bullitt4001

Post by bullitt4001 »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:42 am I can't tell the maker from the photos, it's a pretty common pattern. Definitely a knife sold by Farwell, Ozmun, & Kirk. 1865 is just part of their logo, not when the knife was made. Thanks for posting photos. Some were made by Union Cut Co, some later by Utica, and a couple other companies made knives with that mark. Yours doesn't look like a Utica. Bone handles are easier to figure out maker of contract knives since some makers used specific bone jigging patterns. Maybe somebody else will recognize it.
Thanks so very much for your expertise.
I had that darn thing for over ten years.I liked to imagine it may have been in the pocket of a Civil War soldier. Guess not. ::shrug::
Oh well … soon it will have a new home.
Maybe I’ll let the new owner think up his own fantasy. Silence is golden … they say.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I have finished the book, very interesting read indeed. I am ready to send it on to the next person, with the understanding that they will then post it here and send it on to another interested party when they are finished.
Thanks again to the OP Mike for getting this going...
Attachments
16738084877444381271864294496323.jpg
16738085101877859619356774876715.jpg
Mike

313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

313 Mike wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:50 pm I have finished the book, very interesting read indeed. I am ready to send it on to the next person, with the understanding that they will then post it here and send it on to another interested party when they are finished.
I am bumping this back up again, as no one has stepped up to be the next in line....
Mike

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

313 Mike wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:42 pm
313 Mike wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:50 pm I have finished the book, very interesting read indeed. I am ready to send it on to the next person, with the understanding that they will then post it here and send it on to another interested party when they are finished.
I am bumping this back up again, as no one has stepped up to be the next in line....
I think this is a great idea, but I already have a copy of the book
It's a great read.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Still available folks....nobody interested? ::shrug::
Mike

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I'd take you up on it Mike but I too already have a copy.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

PM sent.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Dan in MI is next up, book will be heading his way soon.
Mike

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Mike. Hope life is well!

Is the knife at 9 o'clock a XX 6216?

Looks vaguely familiar...

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

zp4ja wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:30 pm Hey Mike. Hope life is well!

Is the knife at 9 o'clock a XX 6216?

Looks vaguely familiar...

Regards, Jerry
Hi Jerry! Why yes, that is indeed a XX 6216, gifted to me by a very generous and thoughtful guy I know from out West. It gets carried occasionally and admired often. ::handshake::
Attachments
16740911111011564885889613406934.jpg
Mike

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”