Ever get drawn to a pattern you never thought you would ...

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Lansky1

Ever get drawn to a pattern you never thought you would ...

Post by Lansky1 »

I always had a thing for the #47 stockman, especially the 70's versions. Size and weight just feels right. The nice thing is that the Case muskrat and the 06247 Pen share the same basic frame length with the #47. I sometimes prefer thinner frame knives, so the 47 stockmans and ratcliffe's often get left behind depending on what kind of pants I'm wearing at work. So I've lately been gravitating toward the single spring 47Pen - its super thin and has the full size clip blade of the 47, which is really handy. I never gave the 47Pen frame much love, but after acquiring a few and getting comfy with them, they've become one of my most carried knives lately.

How about you all - have you ever bonded with a pattern that never really interested you in the past ?
IMG-5458.jpg
IMG-5459.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ever get drawn to a pattern you never thought you would ...

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Yes John, When I first started collecting I didn’t like Barlows. But now I have more Barlows than any other pattern. They have really grown on me. As you can see I have had to start a second display case to hold them all. Love these Barlows. I have some really nice one.
Attachments
7D695D22-B5F4-4C3F-A139-0BE38657C301.jpeg
C7EA1FB7-3F92-413F-9075-E730FA067FD7.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Same here. Always considered a Barlow as an old man's knife. Now I am an old man and carry one every day. Just the right size and does all I need to do.
Attachments
3.jpg
buckaroo

Post by buckaroo »

John - I feel exactly the same way. I too was enamored with the '47 stockman pattern. I was attracted to the serpentine shape. I had several of them over the years. Although I have always liked and prefer jack knives in general, I was never a fan of the opposite end two-bladed knives - until I noticed that a muskrat was based on the '47 pattern. So I got one of those and was immediately smitten. Then I noticed that the '47PEN was also based on the same pattern. So I got one of those. To me, the '47 pattern is a classic in both form and function...
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

As time passes, I am drawn to barlow knives also. I think the blades
are very functional and I like the little extra weight in my pocket
( I know it is there, has not fallen out).

I also like the lock back features on knives. It is a very secure feeling
when you got a sharp blade exposed. see below

Bob
CRAFTSMAN.95074.V2.jpg
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

some good ones there guys ! Agree I never cared much for Barlows until I actually bought one on a whim - frame size just hits the sweet spot.
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Most of my life I've carried either a 47 pattern Case stockman or a congress.....Boker or in later years Canal Street. I never thought the trapper pattern was very desirable as an EDC until I decided to give one a try a couple of years ago. I must admit it's a pattern I never found appealing until I carried one for a few months. I now have a great appreciation for the humble trapper and carry one frequently.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”