Old Case display

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Old Case display

Post by edge213 »

Does anyone know the age and value of this Case display cabinet?
Attachments
43112.jpeg
43113.jpeg
43114.jpeg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Case display

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks like a number 35 display, 60s - 80s vintage. I have one like it, but newer. Here's an older thread with some info.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=65776

There are a couple other threads also.

As for value I bought mine years ago with a full board of knives so it's not comparable. I occasionally see them with empty boards for sale on eBay but they're typically local pick up only - cost of shipping is a real damper on sales of an item that size/weight.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:37 pm Looks like a number 35 display, 60s - 80s vintage. I have one like it. Here's an older thread with some info.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=65776

There are a couple other threads also.

As for value I bought mine years ago with a full board of knives so it's not comparable. I occasionally see them with empty boards for sale on eBay buy they're typically local pick up only - cost of shipping is a real damper on sales of an item that size/weight.

Ken
Thanks for the information.
This is currently in a hardware store that is going out of business.
They claim it's been in the store since the 1930s.
A buddy of mine sent me the pictures he said they wanted at least $500 for it.
Seemed high to me.
David
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I could be wrong but I don't think it's that old. Those I've seen from the 30s are a different style. If you have Sargent's 7th edition there's a picture of one from the 30s IIRC. Sounds high to me too, but with all the inflation going on everything seems high to me! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:11 am I could be wrong but I don't think it's that old. Those ive seen from the 30s are a different style. If you have Sargent's 7th edition there's a picture of one from the 30s IIRC. Sounds high to me too, but with all the inflation going on everythingbseems high to me! :lol:

Ken
Thanks again Ken.
I do have that edition and found what you were talking about.
David
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

That one is somewhat older, based on the style of the CASE XX logo at the bottom - they went to the more modern logo style in the early 60's.

I believe that one dates from the late 40's to the late 50's.

I know of one that just sold for 500 - same style and age but it was the #35 "large" display case so a bit larger. In that sale the buyer drove quite a distance to pick up the display case. As others have said, it is the shipping that kills you on these larger display cases.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

knifeaholic wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:41 pm That one is somewhat older, based on the style of the CASE XX logo at the bottom - they went to the more modern logo style in the early 60's.

I believe that one dates from the late 40's to the late 50's.

I know of one that just sold for 500 - same style and age but it was the #35 "large" display case so a bit larger. In that sale the buyer drove quite a distance to pick up the display case. As others have said, it is the shipping that kills you on these larger display cases.
Thank you for the information Steve.
David
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

We have one similar to your! The knives are Case USA 1965-1969
Attachments
ECAA6C89-5329-450A-8E6A-FC901485637B.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice display case Larry! ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Man, Larry, that's quite a display! And the same age as me, wish I looked that good. ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Potechop

Post by Potechop »

I bought one like it a few years ago for 350. I have some of the smaller Case countertop display cabinets but never had a l large floor model. I filled mine with mostly USAs and 1970 dotted knives. Mine has a date stamped on the inside of the cabinet 1976.
Attachments
93F77FF6-4839-4D19-A454-965125BBC029.jpeg
Tecate33

Post by Tecate33 »

Was able to use the link posted to identify my cabinet. Mine has the individual feet instead of the pedestal bottom. Lucky enough to have what appears to be the original inventory list which appears to be from the mid to late 60’s. Found mine locally from a antique collection. The guy had a Berg revolving display case too but didn’t have the fundage to get them both and by the time I did it was gone. Don’t have all Case knives in it but got my collection out of drawers, boxes, etc. New cases on top hold my Patriotic series.
Attachments
3A5BCEED-E07D-42A2-9582-39DEC67556C9.jpeg
AE3DE744-72A6-49B5-8323-29A85994F792.jpeg
274784AC-06F7-40DC-A47B-AF54C99C2C64.jpeg

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”