Old Case knife 6165 with jigged greenbone handles

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
robinpeck

Old Case knife 6165 with jigged greenbone handles

Post by robinpeck »

I have this big old Case knife. Opened, it is 9.25 long with a 3.75 in.blade. I am informed that it is likely a Case 6165 with jigged green bone handle slabs (There is no visible number on the blade but I am told that it is just hidden under the bolster.). It has a flat ground blade instead of the saber ground and has a high pull, where the nail nick is before the higher portion of the back of the blade instead of past it as on later knives. Possibly made between 1940 and 1964?

(It seems to be in very good condition. No cracks in handle. Smooth opening and a good snap to the closing.)

Is this information correct? Is it possible to determine a more specific date?

I know very little about Case knives, their collecting or value (My own knife interests are more fixed blade Scandinavian.)

"https://i.imgur.com/ruCay8j.jpg"
"https://i.imgur.com/E8yQB0S.jpg"
"https://i.imgur.com/jkocWwr.jpg"
BIGHEAD

Re: Old Case knife 6165 with jigged greenbone handles

Post by BIGHEAD »

Yes 6165. Made between 1940-1964. Case used that same stamp for many years (well 24 to be exact) but with green bone probably made closer to 1940 than 64. Looks to be in decent shape. Worth what someone is willing to pay.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A great deal of info about Case knives can be found in the Research section here on AAPK, found by clicking on Research in the header at the top of this page. Scroll down to the section on Case knives. Best source for current value is to do an advanced search of eBay, for sold listings only, of the item (or similar items) in question. Compare condition if your knife with those that have been sold and if necessary adjust accordingly.

Hope you don’t mind, I am posting your picture for benefit of future readers to see what this discussion is about. It will remain here after your pictures are dropped from the 3rd party image hosting site.

Ken
Attachments
B544CEC2-7254-4961-A65A-D3C3C3983AE0.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

I believe that knife to be second cut green bone. I have its brother. Flat blade, high pull and no model stamp.

In case you are unaware, on second cut CASE bone handled knives of that era, they stabbed the outside of the bone or stag on a first pass. Especially on a cow shin you have a ton of material left which makes me surprised that they are not very common and sought after.
That said, due to different density or whatever, athe same handle dye would produce vastly different hues between the 2 cuts with same dye process.

This one like yours is in Steve's 2nd edition in the 65 pattern. That us my knife. Looks rougher this days as it was my primary user for a very long time...

Also, another 6265 that I know is second cut as well. It is orange and no book reference an old orange XX 6265 Hunter. My other oldie go to EDC...

Jerry
Attachments
20220826_193146.jpg
20220826_193134.jpg
20220519_065147.jpg
20220519_065114.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”