I finally bought a Cheetah

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Ruffinogold

I finally bought a Cheetah

Post by Ruffinogold »

Recently I was at a local joint which has a good number of those beautiful wooden case displays . They are difficult to walk by without getting stuck for 15 minutes of more , im my case . I was in the market for snagging a large stockman [ cv , yellow ] as i believe them to be such a great versatile pocket knife and Im always impressed with their cv steel .
However , back in the day when I'd buy a knife , Id usually buy a knife as a needed item and not necessarily for something of beauty or fancy and I never bought a Cheetah . I always thought they were super cool but always bought a stockman or a lockback , thinking .. Ill buy one down the road but never did . So fast forward to the other day [ many decades later ] ....

Bam !

What was even more special is that my wife wanted to buy it with her money knowing Ive always wanted one . That was pretty cool . So really , she bought it .... Im trying to figure out how our money is her money but Im sure she has an answer :)

Chestnut bone Cheetah ... finally
Attachments
cheetah chestnut bone.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I finally bought a Cheetah

Post by philco »

Congratulations. That smooth chestnut bone is some pretty stuff. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

First of all nice knife. Secondly nice story that goes with it. My wife
bought me a knife about 3 weeks ago. I bid on it on eBay but the seller
wanted more. She stepped up right away and said I will buy it for you.
I will always think of that knife as the one she bought for me ( along
with my very first Case knife for a Wedding Anniversary present about
40-45 years ago.

Maybe I will get a Cheetah at the Lexington Knife Show in 2 weeks!

Bob
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Congratts on a great knife!! Cheetah"s are great knives! I love the action of them when opened. Slim in the pocket with lots of handle to grip and alot of blade. Happy for you! Enjoy!! :)
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Hey, thanks for posting that Cheetah! Nice one for sure.

Cheetah's have long been one of my favorites but I agree with you, it's not what comes to my mind as a working, carrying knife, I have a few of them from the 70's that I really like a lot and I have quite a few more that are more recent additions. My DIL found a 9 knife Case factory countertop display and gifted it to me. No knives were included so I decided to fill it with.........yep....Cheetahs!! What else? Here is a picture. These are all fairly recent knives (last 10 years).
cheetahs.jpg
cheetahs.jpg (12.58 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

A mighty fine-looking knife and a great story behind it. I, too, shall have a Cheetah...eventually.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Congrats. Nice knife and sweet wife. Case listed the "swing guard" in old 70'ish catalogs as a hunting/ fishing knife. My guess is slimy or bloody hands and swing guard protected from slippage onto blade resulting in fileting of fingers instead of a fish or game. Used my
swing guard EDCs for that many times.

Still have about 30 Case swing guards from XX era to 81'.

My Dad and I collected them together among many other CASE knives. The 11-1/2L being our favorite pattern. After he passed, there was still some years missing in the time span I mentioned and took inheritance and filled the holes.

Love the bone on that one. Congrats.

Jerry

'
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”