Buyer beware -

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Buyer beware -

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I didn’t put this one in the counterfeits forum because it’s a legitimate Case. But it looks like the celluloid covers are out-gassing, so buyer beware. Note the stainless steel blades aren’t affected (yet) but the nickel silver pins and shield are tarnishing, the green tarnish on the liners is showing through the gold glitter covers. The pattern is one of the German imports Parker had made around 1989 when he owned Case. https://www.ebay.com/itm/403641730761?h ... SwJydidCie

Ken
Attachments
44E59ECB-A8D6-402C-B023-FA2E63C58131.jpeg
142CC778-6958-4869-8EC9-7F13D2FDFDF8.jpeg
A2F36917-A35E-488E-9B92-8AAC51582E9D.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Buyer beware -

Post by QTCut5 »

Is that shield unique to the German made Case knives? The "C" looks wrong to me. ::shrug::

Speaking of outgassing Goldstone covers...here's another one currently for sale on eBay. Interesting how clean & shiny the blades are (right up to the ricasso anyway ::hmm:: )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115380500877?h ... SwSd5iewi5
Case GS207.jpg
1989 GS207.jpg
GS 207.jpg
GS207.jpg
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

When goldstone starts turning to greenstone the handles are on the way out. Interesting and sad that much of the celluloid used in the 70's and after is so much more unstable than the old stuff from pre WWII.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Probably one bad in the box and it ruins all of them.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I had one of those Parker Goldstone time bombs in one of my knife rolls.
When it went off, it destroyed about a half dozen of my best knives.
Since then whenever I get a celluloid knife I keep it seperate.
Tim
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Thanks for the post.

Bob
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:12 am Is that shield unique to the German made Case knives? The "C" looks wrong to me. ::shrug::
It’s the correct shield for that German-made pattern. Not sure if it was used on any others. ::shrug:: I suspect it probably is German-made too.

Here’s a picture of one of the same patterns, in better condition. Not my knife - picture is from knifedb.com but it looks a little “out-gassy” too. ::paranoid:: The pattern was also made with MOP covers, also German made.

Ken
Attachments
032F4E1A-D028-44C3-A661-760392E1A48F.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

I recently purchased 22 goldstone knives from the centennial collection @$10 a piece. Took the scales off soon as I got home. They were all gassing bad. Rehandled one In Cocobolo and fileworked it and sold it for $150so now I have 21 finished with only $3.34 in each of them :D so seems the next 21 to be rehandled will be pure profit :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Reminds me of a Crystal Gayle song, Don't it make my Goldstone green . . ." ::mdm::

🤭🤣😂🤣
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

BIGHEAD wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:00 pm I recently purchased 22 goldstone knives from the centennial collection @$10 a piece. Took the scales off soon as I got home. They were all gassing bad. Rehandled one In Cocobolo and fileworked it and sold it for $150so now I have 21 finished with only $3.34 in each of them :D so seems the next 21 to be rehandled will be pure profit :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
They make a Corelon/Kirinite goldstone now, I saw some on Culpepper’s knife handles web site. Looks pretty good but doesn’t have the translucent depth that the old celluloid had. But if I was going timer-handle an old celluloid goldstone it would be a candidate. Keeps the original look but a more stable material. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”