Case Pilot Test Run XX Micarta Burlap Trapper.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Pilot Test Run XX Micarta Burlap Trapper.

Post by Old Folder »

A few weeks ago SMKW advertised that a new "Case Pilot Test Run XX Brown Micarta Burlap Trapper" was to be released for $74.99. I put one in my "Watch List." A few days passed and the Micarta Trapper began showing up on various Case collector sites, such as Facebook and YouTube forums. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these reviews on this new Pilot Test Run were negative, mostly pertaining to the lack of Case Quality Control, weak and or flimsy blades, not sharp, excessive space between liners, blade liner rub with way off center blades when closed. Many of the customers that purchased this knife have decided to return them to Smoky for replacement. (So I have read.)
If you visit SMKW website and put CA21930 within their Search block in the upper right hand corner, the new Trapper will show up. Click on the knife to view all the pictures, the above negative reviews will prove true to the negative reviews stated. Smoky, I respect your honesty in obtaining a knife to take pictures of, however, your honesty photos' show many manufacturer discrepancies, even with your low quality pictures.
This is not anything new with new Case Knives, especially liner gaping, it's a rampant common complaint.
One would thing that if you are attempting to produce a "new handled series" of knives, that you would make your "Pilot Test Run" knife to better standards?
I'm sure Case is aware of these discrepancies, however, I have never read anything from Case to address these problems. Perhaps it would cost too much money to fix it? Please start committing yourself to quality Case knives!

In 2020, Victorinox, located in Canton of Schwyz had close to 1,000 employees at the factory in Ibach, some 28,000 SAKs are produced daily, along with 60,000 kitchen knives and 32,000 other pocket tools. 10% of their workforce of whom are employed in checking each knife as it leaves the factory. I have not even read one single complaint of anyone receiving a bad Sak. What's that telling you Case?

Now, it will sound as if I'm contradicting myself, but I have purchased and have in my possession 37 different 2021 Case Vault Copperheads 49 pattern with 5 on backorder and under production, with 3 more months of 2021 copperheads left to be produced before they go out of production for approximately 3 years. Of all these beautiful Case Copperheads, I have only had to return one (1) for excessive liner gaping. I am in the process of building 3 frames housing 18 knives each, I will post pictures here on aapk when the frames are complete. I"m assuming there will be approximately 50 2021 Case Copperheads by the end of 2021? I started the copperhead collection early this year and have been able to obtain all productions. Some are as low as 250 produced.

Let me return to the "Case Pilot Test Run XX Micarta Burlap Trapper."
So.. Even knowing that the negative reviews outweighed the positive, I pushed the "Add To Cart" button on my Smoky account for the Case Micarta Trapper, perhaps the silent majority are happy with their knife? Perhaps Smoky would send me a returned Trapper assuming that It would be a EDC rather than a Collector knife?
I received it last week, I am happy with it. Walk & Talk snappy, sharp well centered strong blades, beautiful new "Carbon XX Shield."

Case open front.jpg
Case Shield.jpg
Case Back.jpg
Case Micarta Inline Blades.jpg
Case Gaping.jpg
Below is another excellent example of Case Quality Control lacking on my new Micarta Burlap Trapper.
If my knife were a numismatic coin it would fetch a premium price, perhaps tens of thousands of dollars that some coin errors have brought.
As you can see in the below picture, the "Spey Blade" was struck way off center and only half of the knife and blade description is presentable. This does not bother me and is certainly not a reason to return the knife. Who know what I might receive in return?

Off-center Strike (2).jpg
Below is a post I made within AAPK on January 02/2021. Some good information on another "Case Pilot Test Run" on the 2020 10 dot Case XX "Black Sea Dichrolam Trapper" (Close to identical size of the Micarta Burlap Trapper.) It also contains some interesting information of exactly what a "Pilot Test Run" is.
Unfortunately, the Dichrolam never reached further production, not yet anyway.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=69423&p=881060#p881060

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Pilot Test Run XX Micarta Burlap Trapper.

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m not sure what to make of your post Dan. I read it several times. If I understand correctly, you’ve read a bunch of negative reviews on SMKW but have bought numerous Case knives including 37 of the Copperhead pattern alone (all from 2021 production) and found just one that was defective. So is your point that your experience doesn’t bear out the reviews you’ve read?

I’m not sure what the paragraph about SAK has to do with it. As a former operations manager if I had to devote 10% of the workers to quality inspection in my factory I’d say I have a problem. Well trained production operators are capable of doing their own QC - they know whether or not something is wrong. You just have to empower them to stop production or reject items when/if they detect a problem.

My experience with on-line reviews is that most aren’t worth the time it takes to read them. If that’s what you’re saying, I agree. Not sure if you’re saying you believe Case has a quality problem, or you’re disagreeing that they have one. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:20 am I’m not sure what to make of your post Dan. I read it several times. If I understand correctly, you’ve read a bunch of negative reviews on SMKW but have bought numerous Case knives including 37 of the Copperhead pattern alone (all from 2021 production) and found just one that was defective. So is your point that your experience doesn’t bear out the reviews you’ve read?

I’m not sure what the paragraph about SAK has to do with it. As a former operations manager if I had to devote 10% of the workers to quality inspection in my factory I’d say I have a problem. Well trained production operators are capable of doing their own QC - they know whether or not something is wrong. You just have to empower them to stop production or reject items when/if they detect a problem.

My experience with on-line reviews is that most aren’t worth the time it takes to read them. If that’s what you’re saying, I agree. Not sure if you’re saying you believe Case has a quality problem, or you’re disagreeing that they have one. ::shrug::

Ken
Ken, actually I do not believe that you read my post correctly. I did not read a bunch of negative reviews on SMKW as you stated. I have read no reviews on SMKW. The only reviews I read "as I stated" came from Case collector sites, such as within Facebook and YouTube forums. However, I did mention SMKWs poor picture quality, that's all I stated pertaining to Smoky, this has come up in previous aapk posts many times. I'm sure you know that SMKW does not manufacture cutlery.

I'll explain what the SAK paragraph has to do with it. I posted it as an example as to what a highly skilled workforce that has has a commitment to quality can produce thousands of knives daily without a single complaint of shady workmanship.
As far as you being a former operations manager, you would know that devoting 10% of 1,000 employees of the workforce full time to quality inspection for your products would be total calamity. I'm sure that the 10% of inspectors that I mentioned have other main production work related procedures and do not just sit on a bench and inspect their products.

The only complaint I personally made about my Case Pilot Test Run XX Brown Micarta Burlap Trapper was confined to the off centered tang stamp on my above pictured knife. Would you sell this knife to the American public knowing that it could go to a Case Collector rather than an EDC?

Yes, Case has a problem with Quality Control. My 1/2 off-centered Tang Stamp is an excellent example.

And yes, I have purchased 37 of the 2021 Case Copperhead 49 pattern. (Actually it's now 38) To include the Kevin Pipe's Founder's Copperhead #22016. Limited Edition of 100 made. Which was originally only sold at the SMKW Presidents Day Changing of The Guard on August 28 2021.
I do not let a bad tang stamp blade strike dissuade me from future Case purchases.

Hope I clarified any misunderstanding Ken. ::handshake::

Dan
Dan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I have no knowledge of the QC issues. But I just say that those scales are fantastic in that knife. I’m a big fan of burlap Micarta. Very nice indeed.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for the clarification Dan. I understand better now. I rarely buy new Case knives and when I do, I buy from a brick-and-mortar store so I can hand pick what I want. So I was curious about your experience. Sorry I mis-read/mis-understood the part about SMKW and reviews. I don’t do Fakebook or other social media but I have seen mixed reports on the Case Collectors Club forum - some saying they’ve received knives having problems and returned them, others reporting complete satisfaction. ::shrug::

Apparently there is some level of problem. Those who receive a good knife got what they expected, but those who got a problem are understandably quite vocal. Somewhere here is a post/rant I made a few years ago about my experiences looking at Case knives while at Shepherd Hills - many of them had what I consider poor “walk and talk”.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I hope to see future "Brown Micarta Burlap" Case knives to include the Carbon XX shield.

Dan
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Dan, you never know, one day it could be a sought after rarity. ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”