Case Folding Hunter 6265 Mystery

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
MartinD

Case Folding Hunter 6265 Mystery

Post by MartinD »

I am new to this forum and I have only limited experience with pocket knives. For a lark I was attempting to date this Case Folding Hunter and it was more difficult than at first glance. I am sure that it is from the 70’s, maybe 1978. What is difficult is the dots are very difficult to see…in the right light with a magnifying glass I think I can make out two dots but they are extremely faint. Perhaps some dots were just worn off. Here is another puzzle: There is no hyphen or space, between the model # and SAB (6265SAB) that seem to be the norm on countless pictures of this knife on the Web. Also what years were the plain shields made, that is when the Case logo was not encircled? And what years was the lanyard holes offered?
As a side note this knife really has some bad ass snapping action but as a result it is difficult to open…afraid I am going to lose a thumbnail. Pretty impressive though.
Attachments
Casehunt1.jpg
Casehunt2.jpg
Casehunt3.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Folding Hunter 6265 Mystery

Post by 1967redrider »

I think I see 2 dots, so 1978 would be correct. ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sweetpieces4you

Post by Sweetpieces4you »

Try a lubricant to loosen those blades. Or even wash/clean it out with Dawn dish washing liquid and it should loosen that blade up for you. Or do both . They may snap even harder than they do now, but they should open much easier. If you don’t do something to loosen those blades up a little it could actually break the springs and then No Snap. I have broke more knives than I care to remember by not lubricating before opening. And as far as a Thumbnail :shock: What’s that :lol: I try to use blade openers or even a small wide head screwdriver to open tough to open knives if I remember :D It will save your thumbnail but unfortunately mine is down to a nub again :lol: Just a part of playing with knives everyday. And I do play with a few knives :D
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

If lubrication does not free up the opening the knife you can try taking dental floss between the blades and
bolsters. This has helped me in the past. Another thing you can do is try using a WaterPik in those areas.

Let us know how it turned out.

Bob
Kramersknife

Post by Kramersknife »

Great help loosen up a dirty knife.... Ultra Sonic Cleaner I use mine a lot love it
you would be amazed how much stuff comes out with a good degreaser. Watch them wood and porous / pearl scales never had one get damaged but if a small crack was present they might get worse.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”