Any information/value on these knives would be appreciated

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
RJBriggs

Any information/value on these knives would be appreciated

Post by RJBriggs »

My grandad knew a guy who was into knives but had a deal of money and instead of buying 1 knife or 1 of something, he would just assume buy the whole lot, He gave this to my grandad who then gave it to me, sad thing is I don't know anything about knives, they are all Case knives I do know that, and never been removed from their "display" case, any information would be appreciated, sorry for bad pictures will provide more if needed, thanks.
Attachments
211834645_2651703485132753_1570826390122905563_n.jpg
215067762_360462612160139_8654864774568443397_n.jpg
217393827_437944063845657_4763838670911405522_n.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Any information/value on these knives would be appreciated

Post by 1967redrider »

That's quite a display! Looks like 44 knives, can you tell the date of the display/knives? Someone familiar with this display will be along, ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RJBriggs

Post by RJBriggs »

Thank you very much, yes I believe its 44 or 45 in the set, I don't see a date on the display casings, and from what I gathered from a dating identification post on AAPK just now it seems all the knives are dated with the 2000-2009 stamp with the exception of one, which seems to be dated 1999? but I could be wrong. The 1st image shows the stamp seen on all knives (that I can see from outside the plexiglass without removing the knives) and the 2nd shows the one that seems slightly different.
Attachments
214286940_839431173346439_5379726268429906844_n.jpg
217932641_3027375020921579_1887289398042965232_n.jpg
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

The bottom part of the tang stamp is being covered by the tang (this happens on many knives) and it can be difficult to get an exact year without being able to see all the dots & Xs. However, your thoughts on the date ranges look correct to me. It's a great display. I can't really help you on the value - a lot depends on the condition, and I think I can see some missing shields. It would probably also depend on if there are some genuine stag knives, or if they are all bone. I'm not sure if that is a genuine Case retail display board, of it is a "collector board" - I suspect it may be a collector board since I think most of the retail boards have model numbers and prices on them - but I could be wrong.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
RJBriggs

Post by RJBriggs »

Thank you!, no missing shields, and condition is brand new (although I'm not 100% certain on that statement) but every knife looks store condition. I will maybe open the back up and try to get a closer look at all the dates, and count the X's and dots like you mentioned, and on the value that's fine, I'm not too interested in the value more so just curious on what they are, and learning how to read the dates was already a great find.
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Case Associate's set. I've had & maybe still have a knife or two from broken sets. They originally came with a certificate of authenticity that contained a bit of info on the knives (found picture of one on Worthpoint)... ::tu::
case-2000-associate-mint-set-stag_1_44d4753d07bfaf6393b2a1fc8d9aa4fb.jpg
Really nice set of knives ::nod::
Bryan
RJBriggs

Post by RJBriggs »

Oh wow that's incredible, thanks I opened the back of each case/display hoping to find something like that put inside but no luck, haha thanks again for that info!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Welcome and very nice knives.

On most knives If you close the blade half way, that is, ninety degrees from the handle, the tang stamp is more readable.
Joe
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I think the back of those sets were signed by the Case employees too. Seen a few sets go for near $3000 at auction but that's a few years ago.

Eric
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

ea42 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:28 pm I think the back of those sets were signed by the Case employees too. Seen a few sets go for near $3000 at auction but that's a few years ago.

Eric
Correct. If you click on the picture of the C of A provided it tells the pertinent info about the set, including that each set was signed by all the employees at Case in 2000 when the sets were made up. Unfortunately as with many of the Case multi-knife sets and older retail displays, they have been bought, dismantled and the removed knives sold individually. Those who “flip” knives find it difficult to find customers with enough cash on hand to purchase the entire set, and they can typically make more money breaking up the set and selling the knives individually. It will be difficult to find comparable sales from which to determine the value of an intact set. My guess would be $3300 is a good estimate.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Jamesy

Post by Jamesy »

It is a 2000 Case associates Collection. It was signed by 300 associates. There were 350 sets made. Regular price was $3499 for the whole set. One recently sold on Shepherd hills cutlery knife auction (each knife sold separately ), they brought almost $7000, not including display case.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Jamesy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:53 am One recently sold on Shepherd hills cutlery knife auction (each knife sold separately ), they brought almost $7000, not including display case.
Interesting. Please clarify what you mean by “each knife sold separately”. Does this mean the set was broken up and the knives sold to different bidders with the cumulative total of all sales being almost $7000? Or did a single bidder buy them all separately?

That comes out to average almost $155 per knife which seems high considering all were post-1990 knives and 2/3 of the 45 knives had jigged bone handles. The 15 stags must have brought a lot more than I would have expected. :shock:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Jamesy

Post by Jamesy »

They were sold to different bidders. Some of the stag sold for 200-300 dollars each.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those Shepherd Hills auctions fetch a high dollar amount. I've followed a few, too rich for my blood but they are pristine.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Unclemrbig

Post by Unclemrbig »

I sold one last year for $4500.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”