1960s or 1970s Canoe...worth buying?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Dan In MI

1960s or 1970s Canoe...worth buying?

Post by Dan In MI »

I debated about where to put this subject, but the Case forum seems the best place. Here goes...

I recently ran across a Canoe while scouting the Bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124782901261?s ... 1438.l2649

Canoes seem to command high asking prices, so I'm unsure if the low price on this one is merely because it's rather rough or if there is some other reason. The age is also not clear. And there is a spot on the pile side, at bottom near the master blade bolster, that looks a little off. Is that a chunk of missing bone, discoloration, or nature's mark?

Pictures, for posterity:
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
What do y'all think?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: 1960s or 1970s Canoe...worth buying?

Post by bestgear »

Darn……I thought we were talking aluminum Grumman’s - forgot were in a knife forum for a second …. Carry On!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Watch it and see if the seller gives you a discount. The price seems fair to me, but I'd wait. It doesn't look banged up in my opinion. The Canoe is a little weird, but surprisingly sturdy pattern. I have a 1990s Camillus I use quite a bit.

I've usually gotten no more than 10-15% discounts from these "special offers"; and thus I usually ignore them. Discounts between 20-30% I get occasionally. Anything more than that; but I've got deep discounts twice. I did once get 50% off some vintage diecast models when eBay first started this "special offer" stuff. At first, I was limiting myself to one lot; and then I got every single one the seller had that I wanted.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

bestgear wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:28 pm Darn……I thought we were talking aluminum Grumman’s - forgot were in a knife forum for a second …. Carry On!
I know Grumman made aircraft and step vans out of aluminum...but not that they made watercraft! Maybe I need to search for one of those?
cody6268 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:01 pm Watch it and see if the seller gives you a discount.
I'm doing just that. Have also asked the seller about the condition of the covers, how the snap is, and if it's 1960s or 1970s.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

The knife looks legit, but it's hard to tell if that spot on the back is a patch or just a different shade of color. I would need to see clearer, sharper images to be sure. My concern would be blade wobble and snap.

I can live with other stuff wrong with it but snap and wobble are dealbreakers for me.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Dan, it's hard to tell if that is a patch or natural discoloration in the "jigged cherry wood". I'm leaning toward natural variation in the bone dye, because I see a couple of smaller patches of similar color on the mark side. I would ask the seller about blade snap and wobble, but you may not get a straight answer given the "jigged cherry wood" description. Assuming it's OK, that is very good price and I think that one should clean up nicely. Good luck!
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:19 pmI know Grumman made aircraft and step vans out of aluminum...but not that they made watercraft! Maybe I need to search for one of those
This is at least 60 years old, maybe older.
Attachments
8C27A9CA-37B3-4341-8DC4-193D0D21B6FE.jpeg
8C27A9CA-37B3-4341-8DC4-193D0D21B6FE.jpeg (53.78 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

The Grumman canoe is pretty dang cool! As for the Case canoe in question, no word from the seller yet. I have my fingers crossed that it'll have good snap and no wobble. Slight wobble isn't a big deal to me, nor is weak snap (provided it can be restored with an oiling). Nonexistent snap and blades that do a good impression of a pendulum are.
USN 2000-2006
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Looks like a good knife from the pictures. Hope it has no wobble.
Good luck

Bob
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

From the top picture, the way the spring is extended down on both blades, I would guess the snap is fine. Wobble would be hard to tell except from a spline/blade well shot (if you see gaps or daylight there's probably wobble). Looks like a nice user and even has most of the Canoe etch. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

The blade etch (such as it is) indicates the knife was made in 1974 or later. A little TLC and that knife should make a good user. The canoe is a great EDC pattern.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

As others have said, if you can get it at a decent price, and the blades are tight with good snap, go for it. Send the seller a message and ask about blade snap. They are a sturdy knife. It should clean up nicely. Just my .02 cents worth that ain't worth a nickle.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Still waiting on the seller's reply.
USN 2000-2006

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”