Case factory handle replacement

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Potechop

Case factory handle replacement

Post by Potechop »

I bought a USA collection years ago and the person I bought it from gave me a box with several yellow and white composition knives with the handles shrunk , cracked and coming off. They were mint other than the handles. Several years later I sent them to the Case factory one at a time and they replaced them no charge. They did a good job on the replacement but they clipped off the pinned on shields and glued new ones in. The fish knife they put back the same hook sharpener. I figured the collector value was gone but someone could pack a good knife now. I gave away several of them a 99 and 47 and 18. I kept four of them and have been wondering if I should get rid of them or leave them with my collection. My wife says when I die the first things she selling are my knives. If a collector sees those they may think the rest of my knives might Have been worked on. I was wondering if anybody else would keep these in there collection or just make EDC out of them.
6047089A-76CE-48D7-AF3C-4CF661FE41F8.jpeg
Attachments
1360669E-8EC9-4B79-89A7-10D68F3724D8.jpeg
B11B593A-D5F1-4337-AE7F-65E5C909C270.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case factory handle replacement

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I have a few knives re-handled by Case in my collection. It’s my opinion they are still collectable. But I’ve included a note with them stating they were repaired by Case, including the date repaired and what was done. I don’t think my sons will sell them (both collect knives as do my grandsons) but who knows? At least I’ve done my best to keep the provenance with the knives.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Potechop

Post by Potechop »

Thanks Ken for your reply I think I will leave a note with those knives. Mark
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:38 am I’ve included a note with them stating they were repaired by Case, including the date repaired and what was done.
That's a wise move. I'd also include a copy of the factory repair order.

What would I do with them? They'd be cabinet queens that I'd have no qualms about carrying on occasion.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

I think about it like this. They are more valuable because the manufacturer has given more attention to these knives than others. They were first manufactured and it took time, material, and labor. It was then sent back and more time, material, and labor was put into it. Therefore the end result is more valuable. Just my thought.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

rexstubbins wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:52 am I think about it like this. They are more valuable because the manufacturer has given more attention to these knives than others. They were first manufactured and it took time, material, and labor. It was then sent back and more time, material, and labor was put into it. Therefore the end result is more valuable. Just my thought.

Agree 100%. Those knives are great. They were factory repaired to bring them up to a fine cosmetic condition.

As far as what to do with them- carry them. Use them for light duty and carry them in your pocket when you go about
like running errands or going to a restaurant. We are all getting older and cannot take them with us when we pass.
No one in my family has any particular interest in knives either;so I may as well get use out of all of them.

Bob
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Stuff that I have that would fit into this category get a stringed tag attached. It can be for others, but also to remind me of certain aspects of a particular knife. Just open one blade and slip the string carefully down to the tang and close carefully after making our notations.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”