You can't beat a Case knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Bull72

You can't beat a Case knife

Post by Bull72 »

Hello everyone I am new here and I just came across this forum and I am a firm believer in Case knives I am hoping to enjoy everyone's pictures and knowledge
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: You can't beat a Case knife

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. I’m guessing you must have a Case or three. Let’s see what you’ve got (we like pictures!). ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here Bull, glad you found us.
Case made a fine knife.
What's your favorite pattern?
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

welcome mate, you are among esteemed company here, some very,very knowledgeable case gentleman who are members here. You will be made to feel most welcome. :) ::handshake::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hi Bull,

::welcome:: to the AAPK! ::handshake:: "72" a great year & a great patern! ::nod:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Welcome aboard from another Case fan.
There are other great brands out there, to be sure, so don't be too hasty to turn your nose up at 'em just because they're not carrying the Case logo. :D

And, as has been said, we like pictures :mrgreen:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Welcome Bull72!

Case is my favorite brand but I have been collecting others now too in the last year (Camillus, Schrade).

Show us your favorite Case and tell us what you do with it.

Bob
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC07850.JPG
::welcome::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Welcome Bull!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TPK

Post by TPK »

jmh58 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:51 pm DSC07850.JPG

Cool picture John! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

TPK wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:13 pm
jmh58 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:51 pm DSC07850.JPG

Cool picture John! ::tu:: :D
Thank You Tom. 👊
John 🎩
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy, Bull72! ::welcome:: to AAPK. ::handshake::
I used to say the same thing about my Case knives but I got corrupted by hangin’ around this bunch. ::shrug:: Still love my Cases but I love my Queens and my Camilluses and my Schrades and I could go one. Hope y’all will hang with us and enjoy the almighty pocket knife.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK, Bull72! You just never know what you might find here, but there are a lot of sweet Case knives. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

GEC is way too expensive (as in, they rarely do anything Farm and Field anymore). I've been suggesting they do a Farm and Field line that is a slight step down from the regular GECs, but is unlimited production and affordably priced.

Schrade doesn't exist (well, the name is used for cheap POS knives from China), Camillus doesn't exist (see before), Queen doesn't exist (SMKW is using the name to sell Chinese Rough Ryders; Schatt and Morgan is still "Coming Soon". Bear and Son quality is variable, same with Utica. Moore Maker is just Bear and Son as well as Utica these days. Buck really pushed traditional slipjoints to the sidelines. Benchmade, Gerber, Hogue, Emerson, SOG, Spyderco, Sebenza, TOPS, Bark River, Leatherman, Esee, White River--these companies don't do traditional knives. TOPS, Esee, and White River all specialize in fixed blades. Everyone else does tactical, with Gerber and SOG also manufacturing multipurpose tools. That's what Leatherman is known for, and they've done few "Just a Knife" type folders. Plus, Gerber and SOG mostly just offer imported items. Leatherman assembles their tools from "Worldwide Components".

That basically leaves you with Case as the only real producer of a decent, affordable USA-made knife. I've put quite a bit of a focus on them these days; in both old and new models. Hoping to get a Copperhead pretty soon. My local knife store is out of stock with both bone CV versions (red, amber) and the Yellow Delrin. I'm hoping they get some in before I buy a Victorinox Harvester; which is a not-too common model I'm surprised they carry.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:11 am GEC is way too expensive (as in, they rarely do anything Farm and Field anymore). I've been suggesting they do a Farm and Field line that is a slight step down from the regular GECs, but is unlimited production and affordably priced.

Schrade doesn't exist (well, the name is used for cheap POS knives from China), Camillus doesn't exist (see before), Queen doesn't exist (SMKW is using the name to sell Chinese Rough Ryders; Schatt and Morgan is still "Coming Soon". Bear and Son quality is variable, same with Utica. Moore Maker is just Bear and Son as well as Utica these days. Buck really pushed traditional slipjoints to the sidelines. Benchmade, Gerber, Hogue, Emerson, SOG, Spyderco, Sebenza, TOPS, Bark River, Leatherman, Esee, White River--these companies don't do traditional knives. TOPS, Esee, and White River all specialize in fixed blades. Everyone else does tactical, with Gerber and SOG also manufacturing multipurpose tools. That's what Leatherman is known for, and they've done few "Just a Knife" type folders. Plus, Gerber and SOG mostly just offer imported items. Leatherman assembles their tools from "Worldwide Components".

That basically leaves you with Case as the only real producer of a decent, affordable USA-made knife. I've put quite a bit of a focus on them these days; in both old and new models. Hoping to get a Copperhead pretty soon. My local knife store is out of stock with both bone CV versions (red, amber) and the Yellow Delrin. I'm hoping they get some in before I buy a Victorinox Harvester; which is a not-too common model I'm surprised they carry.
Schatt & Morgan in about a month i have been informed. ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

This is the best fit and finish knife i have in my collection, if every Case knife left the factory in this condition they would rival any company. There is not a gap, no blade wrap, no blade play, the bolsters sit completely flush with the scales, and the color of the natural bone has a cream tinge to it and looks brilliant. They can do it, this is proof, so some of the negative feelings out there for them are unjust in a lot of respects, i know bad ones leave the factory and if you got one of those as your first purchase you would be turned off, and rightly so, but overall they produce a good product. I have 5 in my collection, and not one bad one amongst them.
IMAG0542.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:11 am That basically leaves you with Case as the only real producer of a decent, affordable USA-made knife. I've put quite a bit of a focus on them these days; in both old and new models. Hoping to get a Copperhead pretty soon. My local knife store is out of stock with both bone CV versions (red, amber) and the Yellow Delrin. I'm hoping they get some in before I buy a Victorinox Harvester; which is a not-too common model I'm surprised they carry.
Agreed with everything you said, especially the bit about GEC. (I would add to that their distribution system, constant short supply, and/or whatever else makes them so hard to get.) As for the Copperhead vs. Victorinox Harvester dilemma...get both, either now or later!
cudgee wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:56 am I have 5 in my collection, and not one bad one amongst them.
The knife you showed is a real dandy!

I have more than a few Case knives, and some of them aren't perfect (Sod Buster Jrs. seem to have the largest degrees of imperfection). Maybe my standards are too low; that is a possibility. But all of those Cases are more than good enough for me.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It’s about consistency. Mostly you don’t hear about the good or great knives Case (or anyone else) makes. The buyer got what they expected so they don’t post a rant about it. But when someone gets a problem they’re upset, so they tell everyone.

I don’t blame them, I’ve done it myself. In fact I have two GECs with flaws (both have lazy blades) I’ve posted about previously. You can also find rants I’ve made about Case. The problem is that a knife with a flaw, whether mechanical or cosmetic, should never have left the factory. ::doh:: One in a hundred or one in a thousand, makes no difference. Whoever gets it is not going to be a happy (and likely not a repeat) customer. Some years ago I saw statistics saying that one unhappy customer will tell twenty others about it. In this day of social media it’s likely more than twenty.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I too am a big fan of Case knives. I've had no complaints on fit and finish except sharpness, or I should say lack of sharpness.
The new Case knives I have purchased in the last year or so have been as dull as a butter knife.
I purchased 3 Copperheads from SHC this year. All 3 had to be sharpened before I could use them.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Welcome to this awesome forum ::tu:: im a fan of Case knives, ive been gifted a few in the past from this very forum and i love them and this year ive picked up 4 , not all without there issues, but there things i don't mibd too much , like off centre blade, but Case need to watch there grinds as some are way off, but ive never had blade play or gaps ::tu:: and most have strong backsprings, i do wish they would put half stops on all there knives and nit just some, but i love em and pretty much carry a case daily ::tu::
20210602_214617.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”