What pattern do you want to see Case bring out of the vault next?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
jmh58

Re: What pattern do you want to see Case bring out of the vault next?

Post by jmh58 »

I was told yrs ago that alot of the tooling for those older patterns is no longer around.. So I dont see Case making new tooling and reintroducing those old patterns.. 35, 14 etc..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I can't add much to this thread because I have no idea what's in the vault.

That said, I'm going to jump on the Beavertail band wagon. Bring back the Loom Fixer.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:05 am
Papa Bones wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:50 am I would like Case to come out with a 07WP pattern. Mini-Trapper with a Wharncliffe master blade and a pen secondary. My own personal opinion, the pre 1980 "07" pattern looked better with a pen than with the spay blade.
Oh, my brothers...you're speaking my (um...er...I mean The Monkey's) language! But I believe there is already a current 6249W Wharncliffe Copperhead with a pen secondary. Smitty, you know what I'm talking about. ::nod::
Brother "Q", you know I've posted some of the 6249W's I've already picked up, And I am sure that You and OCD Monkey know that deep down, a 6249W is not the same, as would be a 6207WP with pen blade instead of a spay. ::super_happy:: Plus thinnk about it, it would be a easy fix. They already have the frame and main Wharncliffe blades, and I am sure they already have a suitable pen secondary. Just put them together.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The -35 pattern is just a little too small for me, but a -17, -92, -94, -99 or a -99 1/2 would trip my trigger. ::woot::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

I would love to see them bring the 71 pattern switchblade out of the vault. No assisted opening junk, just a real deal switchblade like they made back in the day.

I know that will not happen though. I already learned from Ken what the choice would be this year. All I can say is it’s not the 71 pattern I was hoping for. I’m sworn to secrecy so please don’t try to pry that bit of privileged info out of my mouth. 😀😀
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

rugmar wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:28 am I would love to see them bring the 71 pattern switchblade out of the vault. No assisted opening junk, just a real deal switchblade like they made back in the day.

I know that will not happen though. I already learned from Ken what the choice would be this year. All I can say is it’s not the 71 pattern I was hoping for. I’m sworn to secrecy so please don’t try to pry that bit of privileged info out of my mouth. 😀😀
Must be some other Ken - I know nothing! ::shrug:: Unless you mean the 2021 release, which is the Copperhead. Those are already in distribution. The 2022 release won’t be announced until early 2022 if they hold true to past years announcements.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu: I'd like to see a large Barlow in CV with Stag handles. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

fergusontd wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:28 am ::tu: I'd like to see a large Barlow in CV with Stag handles. ftd
::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The Barlow was the 2020 “Vault Release” pattern, so it’s doubtful we’ll see it or any variations again any time soon. But y’all can still wish anyway. ::nod:: The 35 pattern mentioned earlier in this thread looks too similar to a Barlow to be a likely choice also. JMO. My opinion means no more than yours, just speculating. ::sotb::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:25 pm The Barlow was the 2020 “Vault Release” pattern, so it’s doubtful we’ll see it or any variations again any time soon. But y’all can still wish anyway. ::nod:: The 35 pattern mentioned earlier in this thread looks too similar to a Barlow to be a likely choice also. JMO. My opinion means no more than yours, just speculating. ::sotb::

Ken
Opinions are like you know whats, we all have one. :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
Moman01

Post by Moman01 »

Cheetah Cub
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Hey Ken.. Is there a list of what is in the Vault?? I seem to remember some talk about it over on the CCC Forum some yrs ago.. ::shrug::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jmh58 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:40 am Hey Ken.. Is there a list of what is in the Vault?? I seem to remember some talk about it over on the CCC Forum some yrs ago.. ::shrug::
There have been several threads on the Vault list subject over the past several years but no one from Case has ever given an inventory of what patterns are supposedly in the”Vault”. As I understand it there are patterns that are in production, patterns in the Vault, and patterns that are discontinued. The last “official” list I recall seeing was an article in the Collector’s Club magazine probably at least 8 or 10 years ago. IIRC there was a picture of the Vault in that article.

There have been posts asking for example if some pattern is in the Vault, because it hasn’t been made in the past two years. The reply from Case was simply that it has not been discontinued. Requests for a list of what patterns are in the Vault have received a lot of speculation from members but no official reply from Case that I have seen.

I saw the Case Vault when I toured the factory several years ago. It physically exists, or did at that time. They’re still announcing an annual “Vault Release” pattern every year at S.H.O.T. but they won’t say what patterns are in it. It’s a clever marketing program that generates a lot of talk (like this thread). :lol: I think it’s exactly like our politicians - they create a problem and don’t really want to solve it. They just like to use it to raise money. ::uc::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

While the pre-1980 style *207 suggested above might be popular, A Mini-Trapper with a pen substituted for a long spey would not be a vault release. The whole point of vault releases is bringing back handle frames or handle patterns.

The ~ 3 3/8" 2020 vault release Barlow does not preclude bringing back a large or Daddy Barlow. I'd definitely be a buyer for a multi blade Daddy Barlow. A 6243 would be great and a 6343 would be even better. I'm only aware of 6243s and 5243s with a long spey for the second blade. A 6243 with long Wharncliff would be a nice knife as would a 6243 with a pen secondary. Queen made Daddy Barlows with a master clip and pen blades. The pen winds up being about the size of common SAK spear master blades.

Also I've been trying to find an affordable large Congress for a long time. Judging by the prices 6488s bring they'd be a smart vault release. I like that 6488s usually if not always have 4 different blades.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:22 am While the pre-1980 style *207 suggested above might be popular, A Mini-Trapper with a pen substituted for a long spey would not be a vault release. The whole point of vault releases is bringing back handle frames or handle patterns.

The ~ 3 3/8" 2020 vault release Barlow does not preclude bringing back a large or Daddy Barlow. I'd definitely be a buyer for a multi blade Daddy Barlow. A 6243 would be great and a 6343 would be even better. I'm only aware of 6243s and 5243s with a long spey for the second blade. A 6243 with long Wharncliff would be a nice knife as would a 6243 with a pen secondary. Queen made Daddy Barlows with a master clip and pen blades. The pen winds up being about the size of common SAK spear master blades.

Also I've been trying to find an affordable large Congress for a long time. Judging by the prices 6488s bring they'd be a smart vault release. I like that 6488s usually if not always have 4 different blades.
I was given a really banged up '76 6488 some time ago. It is one of only a couple of Congress patterns I like (the other being the Boker Whittler Congress with the spey replacing the second large coping blade). About had a heart attack when I saw what knives that were still users, but not as used up (about 40-50% blade wear on mine) were going for---close to $100 at the cheapest.
Azretired

Post by Azretired »

Isn’t there round bolstered large stockman in the vault or is it discontinued? A ‘92 pattern maybe! I would also like to see the large trapper main blade put on the 75 pattern Large Stockman.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Shouldn't this be out by now? ::shrug::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 pm Shouldn't this be out by now? ::shrug::
For 2021 it's out. Copperhead.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 pm Shouldn't this be out by now? ::shrug::
They announce it every year during January at the SHOT Show.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=69653

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Oh yeah. ::dang:: ::facepalm::

Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

Really liked the two Copperheads I got this year (yellow delrin & amber jigged bone), but as it was a larger jack pattern I doubt my wish for a full sized Texas Jack for 2022 :(

So wish these would come back! I love the medium Texas Jack, but the full size would be welcome for sure in some new cover options!
Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 20.02.57.png
- Mike
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Well fellers, somebody needs to be an old grump so I'll go ahead and say it, "I couldn't care less what knife pattern comes out of the vault."
Reason: I'm still enjoying the HOKs from years past. I've always viewed the vault as a marketing ploy.
To each his own, I'm sure we all have new Case knives that we call "safe queens" that will never see the light of day. A good investment? ::shrug:: When I come across a new to me knife, I enjoy cleaning, sharpening and fondling it for a while then it goes in the pile with the rest of 'em, you can't do that with a new one if you intend to keep it NIB. If a new one is put to work, then that's a special event! ::nod::
Still a good thread and interesting to see what different folks want to see. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:56 am Well fellers, somebody needs to be an old grump so I'll go ahead and say it, "I couldn't care less what knife pattern comes out of the vault."
Reason: I'm still enjoying the HOKs from years past. I've always viewed the vault as a marketing ploy.
To each his own, I'm sure we all have new Case knives that we call "safe queens" that will never see the light of day. A good investment? ::shrug:: When I come across a new to me knife, I enjoy cleaning, sharpening and fondling it for a while then it goes in the pile with the rest of 'em, you can't do that with a new one if you intend to keep it NIB. If a new one is put to work, then that's a special event! ::nod::
Still a good thread and interesting to see what different folks want to see. ::tu::
Treefarmer
There you go thinking like me again! Here’s my vault knife from this year. It’s all sharpened and working on a patina slicing maters, cutting open feed sacks and hay bales and such, and stripping wire. I’m the worlds best at destroying colector value. I can’t stand not to use them.
66E8E251-C7B7-405F-8E75-E71CDE0C9790.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Since I've purchased 2 and am tempted by a third I can not argue that the 6249 jack knife was not a good choice. However, I like large knives and large traditional knives have been absent from Case's catalog for a while. They're still offering lockbacks that were inspired by the Buck 110's shape but Case's older shapes have been gone too long. I already wrote that I'd like to see the #43 Daddy Barlow return. I'd also like to see the #050 large Coke Bottles brought back, both the slip joint with the Copperhead hump and the swing guard lockback.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree, I miss the larger old patterns Case used to make. For me a knife under about 3-1/2 to 4+ inches just isn’t practical for use. Unfortunately what seems to sell best nowadays are smaller patterns, so that’s what drives Case marketing/manufacturing decisions. Tiny this and mini that. ::barf::

(I’m always amazed by comments about concerns a knife will “print” when carried. Unless there’s a law against it where you live, who cares? 99% of the people who see you will never notice anyway. And those few who do notice, if it bothers them they need to get over it!) ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”