Case Cattle Knife Legit???

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Cattle Knife Legit???

Post by herbva »

I'm not posting this on the Counterfeit Watch because I have no basis for thinking it is a counterfeit, but I do have some concerns and would like expert input before I spend part of my kids' inheritance. For a knife of this age it looks odd to me to see a knife with zero patina. And, it might just be the pictures, but the blades look a bit like stainless steel. (This seller is offering several other vintage Case knifes and the blades all have the same look.) I think this is a 45 pattern based on the size, but the way the ruler is poorly positioned in the pictures and the little gizmo at the end of the ruler make it hard to tell the exact length. I think it is 3 5/8", which would make it a pattern 45 cattle knife. I've seen plenty with smooth black scales, but only a few in rough black, and I'm not sure if they had shields. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-T ... 4508220665
Attachments
DSCN9359.JPG
DSCN9360.JPG
DSCN9361.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Cattle Knife Legit???

Post by edge213 »

I'm no expert, but I say fake.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I don’t like the looks of that jigging.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::hmm:: That kinda looks like the infamous "Alligator jigging." ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Could be contract knife or complete fake. I am leaning towards the former but those crappy pics and the main blade stamp have me in doubt. Not sure and rusty with no time to knock the dust off at the moment. However cosider this 45 pattern I posted years back. Certainly not CASE jigging but contract knife. Not saying OP knife is legit, just throwing this out there for discussion and consideration...

Jerry

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=31959&hilit=Case+tested+6345
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

My 6294J beat up TESTED has the exact same jigging as that knife. IMO. Pictures and info in the following old post....

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=29097&hilit=6294

Not saying it is a 94 frame nor legit. Just pointing out relation to OP knife jigging.
Pictures are too horrible to tell what the heck is going on but nail nick that I can see and jigging may be real and particular knife and period correct. Hard for me either way to decide based on provided pics.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Good point Jerry. Contract knife is a possibility.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Ken

Glad to hear from you
Hope life is well.

Just wish we had better pics and measurements.

Jerry
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

All good here Jerry. Just trying to survive the insanity we’re being subjected to.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I think it is real.

Harold
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I posted "fake" earlier, but I will defer to the experts.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”