Help Identifying a Case Knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Gah444

Help Identifying a Case Knife

Post by Gah444 »

I would really appreciate any info on this CaseTested XX Knife. I have searched the internet and can't find any info on it.
It does not have a model number and the shield is blank.

Thanks.
Attachments
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG
Steve Warden

Re: Help Identifying a Case Knife

Post by Steve Warden »

Sorry, I can't help.
But welcome! :D
Someone smarter than I am will be along soon, I'm sure.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Well, I'm no Case genius but that looks like a Folding Hunter pattern to me. Still available. Your knife made 1920-1940.
Case Folding Knife Tang Stamps 1905-1940-crop.jpg
Case Folding Knife Tang Stamps 1905-1940-crop.jpg (4.07 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Case Folding Hunter.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Welcome to AAPK. Sorry to say this is not an old knife but a modern counterfeit made to appear as an old knife.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Totally agree. It’s a fake, and a poor one at that. Probably make a good user though.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

X3 on fake, those stamps stand out from across a table. Bone not right either. Most tested era knives will not have model numbers but those marks look cold stamped.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hey! At least I got the pattern correct (didn't I???). Come on fellas, throw me a bone.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:13 pm Hey! At least I got the pattern correct (didn't I???). Come on fellas, throw me a bone.
Well Jerry, it is a folding hunter, I’ll give you that. Just not a Case folding hunter.

To the OP, my advice is to never ever buy a Case from pre-1980 unless you’ve studied up and know for sure what you’re buying is legitimate, or you know the seller to be honest and knows what he is selling. Or it costs less than $20! :lol: In general the older it is, the more it is worth, and therefore the higher the possibility that it’s been faked. Especially if it’s in mint or near-mint condition.

Counterfeits are the bane of our hobby and thoroughly despised because they turn off new collectors from our hobby. Don’t feel bad, most of us have been burned at one time (at least). Just hang around here on AAPK, study knives to learn what legitimate ones look like and how to tell them from the fakes. There is a good forum here on counterfeit knives where much can be learned. viewforum.php?f=17 The devil is in the details like pin placement (compare the pins on your knife with the picture Jerry posted above), jigging patterns, placement and size of the blade pulls (nail nicks), blade shapes, shields, and so on. These and other details are unique to different makers, and sometimes to different time periods within a maker’s production. Probably the last thing to look at is the tang stamp - you should be able to tell if it’s a legitimate knife before you get to the stamp. To some this is overwhelming and more than they want to learn, so they shy away from older knives or some more frequently counterfeited brands. To others it’s what makes the hobby interesting for them. Rule of thumb - if a knife (or most any other item) is expensive, some crook will try to counterfeit it.

Welcome to AAPK. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

It's a good thing I like excellent condition knives that do not cost a fortune. I only have to be able to identify them as made by the original factory or a replica from a U.S. manufacturer that I respect. To keep sellers from making a fool of me my only TESTED Case is going to remain my only old Case. They all ready get their greedy mitts too deep in my wallet too often.
Gah444

Post by Gah444 »

Well, just my luck, first Case knife I have ever bought and it is a fake. Just have to live and learn.
Thanks to all of you for replying and stay safe.

George
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Gah444 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:06 pm Well, just my luck, first Case knife I have ever bought and it is a fake. Just have to live and learn.
Thanks to all of you for replying and stay safe.

George
Where did you get it?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sorry to be reading this but ::welcome:: to AAPK, George. Lots of great info here, on true Case folding Hunters and what to avoid with counterfeits.

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gah444

Post by Gah444 »

Bought it at Smiley's Flea Market here in Macon Georgia.

George

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”