CASE XX USA 10 DOT BOATMAN

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
k_kess

CASE XX USA 10 DOT BOATMAN

Post by k_kess »

Another interesting variation... I had to learn the hard way that the serrated edge was made for business... Thanks for the space and time... Ken
Attachments
IMG_20200506_110323.jpg
IMG_20200506_110302.jpg
cody6268

Re: CASE XX USA 10 DOT BOATMAN

Post by cody6268 »

Surprised Case doesn't do something like this today. I like separate plain and serrated edges in one knife, especially on a large pattern such as this. Partially serrated knives are a compromise (either too much or too little of each edge type; depending on the knife), and carrying an extra knife just for serrations can be a pain.Serrations make quick work of brush, rope, rubber, soft plastics; and don't dull quickly when cutting them. Try that with a plain-edge blade and if it is anything less than the toughest, most wear-resistant modern steel, it will dull quickly. And it is testing on even these modern steels. I can touch up carbon steel and most lower end stainless on cheap pocket whetstones (most of mine are $10 or less); yet these modern steels need expensive sharpening systems and even diamond stones can take a while to put a proper edge on them. 440C is enough trouble for me, let alone S30V and 154CM (which, in my use, is pretty close to 440C).

I have a standard '65-69 6265 which sees a lot of use.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”