Non-abrasive cleaner/polish

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
morganwinter

Non-abrasive cleaner/polish

Post by morganwinter »

Hello, I'm looking for recommendations. Which metal cleaners/polishes do you use? My Case knives are mostly in very nice condition, so I don't need to do any heavy-duty restoration work. Thinking of trying Flitz. Anyone ever use Nevr-Dull? Thanks!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Non-abrasive cleaner/polish

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK.

A lot depends on what you’re needing to do. Over the years of maintaining a collection I’ve evolved to using Tuf-glide/Tuf-Cloth, Renwax, Semichrome, number 2 pencil lead, a Pink Pearl eraser, Quick Release oil, some soft cotton rags and a jewelers cloth. Unless you have some hard red rust or pitting, that should handle anything. Semichrome, Flitz and similar polishes are mildly abrasive.

Tuf-Glide and Tuf-Cloth contain metal protectors which inhibit tarnish and rust - they’re not polishes and contain no abrasives. If the metal surfaces of your knives have no tarnish or rust they will prevent it from forming. Renwax also has no abrasives and will do the same but requires more effort to apply, but Renwax is also good for the handle covers. I try to avoid anything with abrasives unless needed to remove tarnish or light rust. Once you remove the factory finish you can’t put it back.

Everyone has their favorites so I’m sure you’ll get other opinions as well. Here’s a link to a thread that might be of interest. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=50318

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I use Wenol... There is a red tube and blue tube.. The red is fine for all polishing..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Welcome! I use Nevr Dull all the time. It’s inexpensive and a can lasts for ages. Because it has no abrasives don’t expect any polishing miracles but IMO it’s a fine cleaner. Often Nevr Dull followed by Renaissance Wax is my only treatment.

After using it give the knife a thorough wipe-down with a micro fiber cloth to remove the excess petroleum distillate, especially on celluloid handles.

Dennis
morganwinter

Post by morganwinter »

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! I started collecting Case knives back in the '70s when I had a paper route and a few extra bucks in my wallet once in a while. I'll post some pics of my knives as I get started cleaning them up, not that any are in rough shape at this point. Thank you for welcoming me!
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I just use a cheap buffing wheel setup with white compound. A couple seconds on each bolster makes them gleam ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Camillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Camillus »

My go to product is Flitz,
Great for metal and plastic polishing that’s non abrasive

Camillus
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Camillus wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:46 am My go to product is Flitz,
Great for metal and plastic polishing that’s non abrasive

Camillus
Flitz polish contains aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide is the substance used to make most types of sandpaper. Here’s a link to the Flitz MSDS https://www.flitz.com/content/SDS%20-%2 ... h_2019.pdf. The aluminum oxide in Flitz paste polish is obviously very fine, so fine that you can’t feel it with your fingers. None the less, to say Flitz is non- abrasive is not correct.

Just a public service announcement. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Camillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Camillus »

Apparently you haven’t used Flitz ::hmm::
Thanks for the not needed information
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Camillus wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:13 am Apparently you haven’t used Flitz ::hmm::
Thanks for the not needed information
Sorry, it was not my intent to upset anyone, or to start an argument. Just to state the facts, which is why I posted the link to the Flitz MSDS.

I have used Flitz. I’ve also used Semichrome and other similar paste metal polishes. They have their place. Most do contain abrasives and should be used accordingly.

You may not need or want the information. I posted it for the benefit of others who will read this (the title of this thread after all is “Non-abrasive cleaner/polish) and may need it. Again, it wasn’t my intent to upset anyone.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Has anyone used Case Paste or know anything about it (abrasive or not, side effects, etc.)? Thanks. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:01 am Has anyone used Case Paste or know anything about it (abrasive or not, side effects, etc.)? Thanks. ::handshake::
It is my understanding that it is very similar to Simichrome paste.. ::hmm::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I use the Blue tube Wenol.. Soft/non-abrasive.. Make those bolsters SHINE like nobody's business..

ALSO.. Dampen the cloth you are applying ANY cleaner/polish as this lessens/eliminates the black residue you get.. A MUST with white/natural bone.. ::nod:: ::nod::

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”