Case 61549L "Copperlock"

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
kootenay joe

Case 61549L "Copperlock"

Post by kootenay joe »

I have searched this forum but can find little info about the Case Copperlock. I have a very nice Copperlock from 1998 (61549L) and it comes with a sheath marked "Copperlock". I found an add in an old magazine advertising this knife: "1998 Fall Hunting Special" "Limited Edition of 500 pieces", and "Field Test Run".
In Steve P.'s book on Case knives he shows the 2 blade Copperhead but i cannot find a mention of the single blade Copperlock. Do you know why this pattern is not covered in this book ? Or, is it in there somewhere ??
And, what is meant by "Field Test Run" ?
Also what year was this Copperlock first made ? It is a very attractive pattern but has it been a good seller ? I do not collect Case knives but in my ebay knife cruising i rarely see this Copperlock pattern.
Thank you for some help.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7594.JPG
IMGP7596.JPG
IMGP7597.JPG
IMGP7598.JPG
Modern Slip Joints

Re: Case 61549L "Copperlock"

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

CopperLocks are one of Case's more popular knives. The SMKW monthly flyer usually has them with a few choices of bone and currently buffalo horn sides. Pre-owned ones are commonly sold on eBay. However, most do not have the pouch. With thin bone sides they carry like a pocket comb so there is not a big demand for their pouches. I like them best with fat stag sides in a belt pouch but I'm in the minority.

Other than being a creative way to word an ad I do not think "Field Test Run" means anything.

The only thing CopperLocks have in common with 49 pattern CopperHeads is the CopperHead bolster hump that shields the corner of the blade tang when the blade is closed.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:The only thing CopperLocks have in common with 49 pattern CopperHeads is the CopperHead bolster hump that shields the corner of the blade tang when the blade is closed.
That is exactly correct.

*1549L was a brand new pattern introduced in 1998.
Most were bone, hence the 6, one blade (1), pattern 549, and 'L' for lock.
So I say you have a very early example, and documentation
8) 8)
The Mini Copperlock 61749L was intro'd a couple of years later.
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

The first one's had 3 dot's making them rare 1997 not 1998 . There are 3 1997 listed in the AAPK Stores Luv Stag Has one item 32861 & Sanders has 2 item # 2861 & 2847 all 3 are 3dot 1997
Gary
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for this help. I had thought the Copperlock was a locking Copperhead 49 pattern. But it is the 549 pattern. Why is this not in Steve Pfeiffer's book which was published in 2009, 11 years after this pattern was introduced ? I know the Case Classics are not included because they were not made by Case. As far as i have ever read, Case does make this Copperlock knife, so it seems odd to not be included.
Also, there are no dots/x's on the tang to date it, just "Case XX/USA/61549L SS". If i did not have the box i would not be able to date it, and this also seems odd.
kj
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks for this help. I had thought the Copperlock was a locking Copperhead 49 pattern. But it is the 549 pattern. Why is this not in Steve Pfeiffer's book which was published in 2009, 11 years after this pattern was introduced ? I know the Case Classics are not included because they were not made by Case. As far as i have ever read, Case does make this Copperlock knife, so it seems odd to not be included.
Also, there are no dots/x's on the tang to date it, just "Case XX/USA/61549L SS". If i did not have the box i would not be able to date it, and this also seems odd.
kj
Joe if you look at your knife there is a dot on each side of the USA making it a 1998 ::tu::
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

One of my saddest days was the day I broke the tip off the blade of my Copperlock doing something really stupid. ::doh::

BTW, there are two Copperlock patterns - the regular and the mini.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:
BTW, there are two Copperlock patterns - the regular and the mini.
I was just going to mention that. I have a 51749L which I believe was made in '98.
Love it. Fits nicely in your hand and in your pocket.

Bob
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I have dozens of Case knives and other brands, but if I could have only one knife for EDC it would be a large copperlock. One large, husky clip blade; solid lockup; flat in the pocket; and traditional look. Perfect.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Joe if you look at your knife there is a dot on each side of the USA making it a 1998"
Thank you. I can see it now. I thought the dots would be under the USA.
kj
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Since I really got into collecting, the only knife I ever lost was a perfect specimen of a blue bone copperlock. Miss that one ... alot :(
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Does anyone know why the Copperlock pattern is not mentioned in Steve P.'s book on Case knives ? All other Case patterns are shown & discussed.
kj
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Copperlocks are my favorite pattern. I've added to my count but these are some of my stag.
casexxx.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

WOW ! Amazing Copperlock collection ! Maybe one of the best for the Stag Copperlocks. Obviously impossible to pick a favorite.
Thanks for showing us.
If you need mine so that you have at least one that is not Stag, send me a PM.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:24 am Quote: "Joe if you look at your knife there is a dot on each side of the USA making it a 1998"
Thank you. I can see it now. I thought the dots would be under the USA.
kj
The knife is from the "floating dots" stamp era. At some point during the mid-1990's Case started placing the date code dots on either side of "U.S.A." on the tang stamp instead of under it.

As for the Copperlock inclusion in Steve's book, see 2nd Edition page 279, right-hand side. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

chorizotaco wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:27 pm Copperlocks are my favorite pattern. I've added to my count but these are some of my stag.

Hmm, you must be the reason why I can never find a Copperlock for a good price. :D Awesome collection!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Ken. first i have heard of 'floating dots', so good to learn something new.
I think i must have the first edition of Steve's book. Date on publisher page is 2009. Page 279 shows a vintage catalog page. Maybe Copperlock was omitted in the original edition ?
kj
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

royal0014 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:56 pm
Modern Slip Joints wrote:The only thing CopperLocks have in common with 49 pattern CopperHeads is the CopperHead bolster hump that shields the corner of the blade tang when the blade is closed.
That is exactly correct.

8) 8)
I have 4 Copperlocks. The first is a 61749L purchased the summer of 1998 at Shepherd Hills while on a trip east. I remember this well as less than a week later I had to cut my Dad'd seatbelt after a rollover traffic accident we were involved in. So they didn't wait too long in introducing the the 749 pattern.
Perception is Reality
Norwood

Post by Norwood »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:14 am Thank you Ken. first i have heard of 'floating dots', so good to learn something new.
I think i must have the first edition of Steve's book. Date on publisher page is 2009. Page 279 shows a vintage catalog page. Maybe Copperlock was omitted in the original edition ?
kj
I bought a Copprlock long before I knew anything about knives. Years later, I tried to find out when the knife was made. But the tang stamp did not quite match any of the ones shown in the Case date charts. What tripped me up, too, was the date dots flanking the "USA" rather than underneath it. I assumed the two dots were just decoration.

What cleared up my confusion were the photos and product descriptions supplied by AAPK's vendors. That's when I came to understand that those 2 dots were actually the date markings (1998). Someone was offering a 1998 Copperlock with a tang stamp identical to mine. As further proof (as I recall), there was also a 1997 Copperlock for sale, with 3 dots--also flanking the "USA" rather than underneath.

I have to remind myself to check AAPK's vendor-listings even when I'm interested in learning rather than shopping. (Also when shopping, of course.) That would have saved me a few hours.

Cheers,
Ken

EDIT: After posting this message, I re-read the entire thread and discovered that almost everything I had said, someone else had already said (and more concisely). Oh, heck! I apologize for the repetition.
Copperlock, 1998
Copperlock, 1998
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

That is exactly correct.

8) 8)
Can anyone tell me wear to find out what does the SM & the BN stand for of the box item sticker?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

barnwood42 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:59 am
That is exactly correct.

8) 8)
Can anyone tell me wear to find out what does the SM & the BN stand for of the box item sticker?
If you’re asking about the box label from the OP, I believe that’s for Smooth Bone. As in Dark Orange Smooth Bone. (DK ORAN SM BN)

Ken
Attachments
CB6B7EC4-506E-41D7-A914-F706EF7F65E9.jpeg
CB6B7EC4-506E-41D7-A914-F706EF7F65E9.jpeg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

Yes Ken, That is what I was asking about. Thank you for the answer.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”