Anyone know when "Gum Fuddy" was first Used?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
rugmar

Anyone know when "Gum Fuddy" was first Used?

Post by rugmar »

Does anyone know what year or approximate time frame that Case first used "gum fuddy" as a handle material? I ask because I recently acquired a 25 pattern knife with tested blade stamp and gum fuddy handle scales. The knife has a shield that looks to me like it's from the XX era. It's my understanding that Case used some open "C" shields late in the tested era but I thought those had what's called a "tall" S. Is this a tall "S" Shield? I'm just trying to narrow down when this little fellow was made.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
IMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Anyone know when "Gum Fuddy" was first Used?

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

rugmar wrote:Does anyone know what year or approximate time frame that Case first used "gum fuddy" as a handle material? I ask because I recently acquired a 25 pattern knife with tested blade stamp and gum fuddy handle scales. The knife has a shield that looks to me like it's from the XX era. It's my understanding that Case used some open "C" shields late in the tested era but I thought those had what's called a "tall" S. Is this a tall "S" Shield? I'm just trying to narrow down when this little fellow was made.
Thanks for your help!

I don't "collect" Case knives, but I found this on-line. I'm sure someone will be by and "correct" this submission.

"Gum Fuddy"!
Posted by Craig Henry on October 31, 2012 at 16:19 in Case FansBack to Case Fans Discussions.

Most likely have never heard the phrase, “Gum Fuddy.” Those familiar with vintage pocket knives, however, recognize this nickname given to some special Case knives made during a pivotal time in American history. Now W.R. Case & Sons has brought back these old favorites back with a “Rough Black” family of knives. The story behind Case’s Rough Black pocket knives begins in the 1940’s with the advent of World War II, when many raw materials used to produce consumer goods were diverted to support the war effort. Materials traditionally used to make pocket knife handles were no exception. A race to market knives with new, never-before-seen materials ensued between competing knife manufacturers. In that search, Case product developers came upon a hard black synthetic material which demonstrated high durability, strength and overall appeal. A special jigging pattern was applied to the material surface to create the unique “Rough Black” knife handle slabs. The knives that resulted became known as “Gum Fuddy” knives at Case, a nickname quickly adopted by the consumer market as sales of Rough Black knives grew. Case phased out production of “Gum Fuddy” knives after the war, as traditional handle materials made their way back to market. The knives have since become highly sought after collection pieces.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Thanks for that info. Very interesting.

I thought the rough black was introduced around the time of WWII. But this knife, according to it's blade stamp and other commonly available info was made prior to WWII so that's what I'm questioning. I guess even though the US was not involved at that point, materials were getting scares?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some sources indicate “Gum Fuddy” was used during WWII due to bone being scarce. While that may be true (or not) here are a couple of things to consider.

First of all I’m of the opinion the Tested XX stamp was used through WWII and possibly for a while afterward. I doubt the accuracy of sources that say Case ceased the Tested XX stamp in 1940. Among other things, I’ll submit as evidence a knife Case made for the U,S, Navy during WWII, which bears the Tested XX stamp. Doesn’t seem possible if they stopped using that stamp in 1940. ::shrug::

Second, I had the pleasure of acquaintance with former Case president Bob Farquharson, who started working at Case in the early 1950’s, and moved to Texas after retiring from Case. One day I showed him a Case with “rough black” handle covers. He laughed and said “Gum Fuddy! That’s what the Case employees called it. They hated that stuff!” It was apparently still in use when he started at Case.

So in summary I believe Gum Fuddy was in use several years after WWII. Legitimate examples of Gum Fuddy can be found having the Case XX stamp. It was re-introduced for a period of time a few years ago. The pictures you’ve posted are out of focus so it’s difficult to determine what shield it has. Can you post a better picture of the shield?

BTW here’s a link to a YouTube video featuring an interview with Bob Farquharson before he passed. He was a real gentleman and a pleasure to talk with. In the video he talks about Gum Fuddy and other interesting things related to Case history.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TPK

Post by TPK »

That's a very cool & interesting video Ken! ::tu:: I see it's an older post but thanks for sharing it. It was very enjoyable to watch. ::nod:: ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Very interesting video thanks for posting.
Here is a "gum fuddy" rough black knife I have in my collection. Absolutely solid knife with zero wobble, firm half stops, and snaps like a gator.
Attachments
20221009_095937.jpg
20221009_095851.jpg
20221009_095839.jpg
20221009_095830.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”