Case Outlander knife?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
markpreston

Case Outlander knife?

Post by markpreston »

Found this oddball fixed blade with what appears to be a thermometer in the handle. Case lightning bolt 1986 dates? Any thoughts at $125?
markpreston

Re: Case Outlander knife?

Post by markpreston »

[album][/album]
Attachments
EABEFF94-EC35-4EF8-9954-9FA909D1B3BC.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

IIRC the Case Outlander was billed as a lightweight wilderness survival knife. In addition to the thermometer there was a compass mounted in the pommel. It came with a sharpener, a whistle, a waterproof permanent match, nylon fishing lines with hooks and sinkers which were stored in a pouch on the sheath.

Apparently it wasn’t a big seller. I don’t think it lasted long in the catalog. I have no idea of current value. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Maybe it was a rectal thermometer.
stlouisknives

Post by stlouisknives »

Sargent's Guide (7th Edition) gives a MIB book price for the 1986 Case Outlander of 65 bucks...….. sounds a little more down to earth to me.

-JH
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That one is new to me, not that I know much about fixed blades. I noticed there were several posted on the Worthpoint site which I can't open. I saw one that had sold on some auction site for $35 a year or so ago, so that one might be a bit overpriced. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
markpreston

Post by markpreston »

Thanks all for the responses. $125 is in line for a mint in the box with accessories. Even the survival kit stuff was still wrapped in factory packaging. If I had the dough I'd buy it for knifaholic as a gift.
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Gunsil wrote:Maybe it was a rectal thermometer.
Cant take that one back ::doh::
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::facepalm::
Don't you just hate typing.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

After the Rambo movie came out in 1985, knife companies scrambled to come out with hollow handle "survival" knives. The Outlander was Case's version. As others have said, it only lasted maybe a year or so.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”