Dating challenged

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
OSCAR

Dating challenged

Post by OSCAR »

I never could understand the dots and X’s. Seems to me that Case, and other manufacturers should just include the year of manufacture on the tang along with the makers name. Buck uses symbols for which I found a chart to decipher the year. Why revert to hieroglyphs? But I guess that would be too easy. -Just a random thought.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jmh58

Re: Dating challenged

Post by jmh58 »

I find Cases system very simple to use.. Where as the BUCK system requires I go to a chart and look up the symbols.. I can do the Case deal off the top of my head but not so with BUCKs.. Just sayin!!! :wink:
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

jmh58 wrote:I find Cases system very simple to use.. Where as the BUCK system requires I go to a chart and look up the symbols.. I can do the Case deal off the top of my head but not so with BUCKs.. Just sayin!!! :wink:
John :D
Yup. ::nod::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Case did tang stamp the year on their knives, 1990 to mid-year 1993.
That was not popular, it seems, as the majority wanted the X's back

You can't please everyone ................
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

royal0014 wrote:Case did tang stamp the year on their knives, 1990 to mid-year 1993.
That was not popular, it seems, as the majority wanted the X's back

You can't please everyone ................
I guess everyone has their preferences.
As for myself, I like simple. And I agree about Buck. I have a chart but it’s still an inconvenience. I will have to look for Case with the years on them. Make things simpler.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
mrpike

Post by mrpike »

You should do a search for case dating. I be;ieve they published the system a while back
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

mrpike wrote:You should do a search for case dating. I be;ieve they published the system a while back
It’s not difficult to use, and it’s not difficult to find. Here’s one source. https://www.casecollectorsclub.com/college/tang-stamps/. And another https://www.casexx.com/Library/TangStamp.asp

Case and their dealers have printed up and given away thousands of these wallet-size cards in the last 20 years or so.
200E0885-EB17-42A6-B865-6114F88BDA6C.jpeg
200E0885-EB17-42A6-B865-6114F88BDA6C.jpeg (35.42 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
99474EE3-A712-4AAA-9E80-18AB89F7181B.jpeg
99474EE3-A712-4AAA-9E80-18AB89F7181B.jpeg (30.83 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
You can also easily access it here on AAPK by clicking on “Research” in the light grey colored header up there ^^^^^ at the very top of this page. Follow the prompts to the Case section.

If the Case date code system is published any more places it will soon rival the Bible as the most world’s most published work. ::tounge:: :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I too find CASE’s extremely easy to use. Especially the older ones.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
eveled

Post by eveled »

I miss the old Camillus Demo knives with the actual 4 digit date on each one. It must have been part of the original military spec. Which makes me wonder why all military knives aren’t dated? They made great birth year presents.

In general I wonder why a manufacturer would bother dating them in the first time pace.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks for posting Case’s chart. It will be very helpful. Way easier if all makers just put the 4 digit year on the tang, but why make it easy. Thanks again. Oscar
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

OSCAR, if they all put the date on the knives, we wouldn't have anything to keep us busy! ::stir:: :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Treefarmer,
I guess you are right. In the long run, it adds more to this addiction we call a hobby.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”