CASE 6465 appraisal and questions

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
JaredZ14

CASE 6465 appraisal and questions

Post by JaredZ14 »

Hello,

I inherited a like new case 6465 in like new condition (looks unused), and I did not know what I had until I researched it. I will be trying to sell it but I do not know much of anything about it, and just have found out it’s very rare and fairly valuable.

ANy insight about this knife and what I have will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
B3940FDE-E515-4AB6-9ACC-19730CF4F258.jpeg
0CC7211F-2A6F-4ABD-B7EE-F6E283B26096.jpeg
BBB24F41-9457-4CBD-B8FC-34CE736A0607.jpeg
1E7D2F1D-2AB9-4361-BDE2-28FAFB1C9FE3.jpeg
5B7D07ED-8796-4A77-AC73-C36FB3F2E9E7.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CASE 6465 appraisal and questions

Post by doglegg »

JaredZ, I can't comment on its worth but to say it is indeed in great shape. I bet some one will be along shortly to give you some information. By the way Welcome. ::handshake::
JaredZ14

Post by JaredZ14 »

doglegg wrote:JaredZ, I can't comment on its worth but to say it is indeed in great shape. I bet some one will be along shortly to give you some information. By the way Welcome. ::handshake::

Thank you! I appreciate the insight and greeting!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

You do indeed have a very nice example of the 6465 with a flat ground master. Value is of course always subjective and and very difficult to determine on knives that don't sell very often. In Jim Sargents 7th edition of knives and razors he gives a book value for your knife if it is in mint condition of $3500. Book values are of course just opinions of an author and most times are very difficult to acquire. All that being said it is a very sought after knife and in that condition would probably sell very quickly if you're lucky enough to reach the proper buyer.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JaredZ14

Post by JaredZ14 »

gsmith7158 wrote:You do indeed have a very nice example of the 6465 with a flat ground master. Value is of course always subjective and and very difficult to determine on knives that don't sell very often. In Jim Sargents 7th edition of knives and razors he gives a book value for your knife if it is in mint condition of $3500. Book values are of course just opinions of an author and most times are very difficult to acquire. All that being said it is a very sought after knife and in that condition would probably sell very quickly if you're lucky enough to reach the proper buyer.
That’s where I’m having an issue. I don’t know if this is something that’ll increase in price, or stay. Or where to market it even. All I know is it’s rare
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

JaredZ14 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:You do indeed have a very nice example of the 6465 with a flat ground master. Value is of course always subjective and and very difficult to determine on knives that don't sell very often. In Jim Sargents 7th edition of knives and razors he gives a book value for your knife if it is in mint condition of $3500. Book values are of course just opinions of an author and most times are very difficult to acquire. All that being said it is a very sought after knife and in that condition would probably sell very quickly if you're lucky enough to reach the proper buyer.
That’s where I’m having an issue. I don’t know if this is something that’ll increase in price, or stay. Or where to market it even. All I know is it’s rare
Well, they're not going to make anymore like that one so it most likely will go up if knife collecting continues .to be a hobby of interest. If you are not a collector then you probably won't have friends or associates that would be interested in buying it so it's going to be difficult to get top dollar for it. You could list on Ebay in the Knives, swords and blades section for a high amount and see if you get any bites but if it sells Ebay will charge about 13% for the sale.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JaredZ14

Post by JaredZ14 »

gsmith7158 wrote:
JaredZ14 wrote:
Well, they're not going to make anymore like that one so it most likely will go up if knife collecting continues .to be a hobby of interest. If you are not a collector then you probably won't have friends or associates that would be interested in buying it so it's going to be difficult to get top dollar for it. You could list on Ebay in the Knives, swords and blades section for a high amount and see if you get any bites but if it sells Ebay will charge about 13% for the sale.
Yea that will be a issue for sure. I definetly will need to figure out the best route to selling it if I decide to.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ebay would give you the largest market but it's fairly expensive to sell there. If that's the only knife you have for sale you could try to sell it here but you would have to become a supporting member. $20 for one year. You won't get as many eyeballs here as you would on Ebay but we are all knife collectors so you might use that option more cheaply. A lot of members here also have online stores so there would probably be some interest there. And we've got a few high roller collectors here as well that would probably be interested.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JaredZ14

Post by JaredZ14 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Ebay would give you the largest market but it's fairly expensive to sell there. If that's the only knife you have for sale you could try to sell it here but you would have to become a supporting member. $20 for one year. You won't get as many eyeballs here as you would on Ebay but we are all knife collectors so you might use that option more cheaply. A lot of members here also have online stores so there would probably be some interest there. And we've got a few high roller collectors here as well that would probably be interested.
Thanks for the info. I would definitely like tos we it go to someone her that would appreciate it or get it to a person that would appreciate it. How do I go about becoming a member here.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Up toward the top of the page, right hand side. Click on “Support AAPK”.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Rare knife.It does look like it has been cleaned sometime in the past.Can you post a picture with the blades closed looking down from above? ::tu::
Roger
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

JaredZ14 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Ebay would give you the largest market but it's fairly expensive to sell there. If that's the only knife you have for sale you could try to sell it here but you would have to become a supporting member. $20 for one year. You won't get as many eyeballs here as you would on Ebay but we are all knife collectors so you might use that option more cheaply. A lot of members here also have online stores so there would probably be some interest there. And we've got a few high roller collectors here as well that would probably be interested.
Thanks for the info. I would definitely like tos we it go to someone her that would appreciate it or get it to a person that would appreciate it. How do I go about becoming a member here.
If you look at the top of the page on the right side you will see the Bronze, Silver and Gold premium subscriptions available each level gives you the ability to sell a number of knives. Since you only have one the Bronze subscription for $20 let's you sell 5 knives so that should be all you need. Then you could try to sell it in the forum called Knives for sale or trade. I will warn you though sometimes it takes a while to sell a high dollar knife.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JaredZ14

Post by JaredZ14 »

peanut740 wrote:Rare knife.It does look like it has been cleaned sometime in the past.Can you post a picture with the blades closed looking down from above? ::tu::

The knife has all the original finish I can tell that for sure. The bolster on on side has a slight patina. But other than that the blade finish is probably 95% if not better. The edges are still original and HAvnt been sharpened or used from what I can tell.
JaredZ14

Post by JaredZ14 »

Here is some more photos
Attachments
54B77AD7-AE99-41F6-9657-00D6FD21386F.jpeg
FD64389B-6405-45B4-9061-198621D5181D.jpeg
473623E1-9C47-4039-B434-8A38CD1CE370.jpeg
JaredZ14

Post by JaredZ14 »

Wel, any knowledge on this is greatly appreciated
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Jared the knife was made sometime between 1920 and 1940, probably early 1930's. It is a variation of the folding hunter which normally has two blades. The screwdriver and the can opener don't normally appear on the hunter. It is a fairly scarce knife and could have a value between $1000 to $2500. One of the pictures that collectors like to see is an overhead shot looking down into the well of the knife with all blades closed and the knife lying on its spine. This is helpful to determine whether the blades might be short.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JaredZ14

Post by JaredZ14 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Jared the knife was made sometime between 1920 and 1940, probably early 1930's. It is a variation of the folding hunter which normally has two blades. The screwdriver and the can opener don't normally appear on the hunter. It is a fairly scarce knife and could have a value between $1000 to $2500. One of the pictures that collectors like to see is an overhead shot looking down into the well of the knife with all blades closed and the knife lying on its spine. This is helpful to determine whether the blades might be short.

Ok, thanks for the info! I will post a picture of the knife later today.
JaredZ14

Post by JaredZ14 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Jared the knife was made sometime between 1920 and 1940, probably early 1930's. It is a variation of the folding hunter which normally has two blades. The screwdriver and the can opener don't normally appear on the hunter. It is a fairly scarce knife and could have a value between $1000 to $2500. One of the pictures that collectors like to see is an overhead shot looking down into the well of the knife with all blades closed and the knife lying on its spine. This is helpful to determine whether the blades might be short.
Attachments
3F84C129-84DE-4194-817A-2411739EECCC.jpeg
B2D8ED44-F5A9-45A0-8A68-F75FA32FB0FB.jpeg
1834B172-97F6-4417-BAAD-D4C0C67970FC.jpeg
C03303E5-AB38-475B-A8AD-8B1E32EB7B7B.jpeg
EDF8F3D7-B634-424B-BC54-ED680324AA53.jpeg
JaredZ14

Post by JaredZ14 »

There is the oictures

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”