1996 Case XX Red Stag R5111 1/2 SS

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
joesskankshack

1996 Case XX Red Stag R5111 1/2 SS

Post by joesskankshack »

Would anyone be able to help me identify more about this knife? I haven't been able to find it anywhere else online. Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2858.JPG
IMG_5293.JPG
IMG_9551.JPG
IMG_9669.JPG
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: 1996 Case XX Red Stag R5111 1/2 SS

Post by royal0014 »

I would venture a WAG that it was a SFO for Bass Pro Shop ....
8)
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Joe,
I'll agree with Chris, a SFO for Bass Pro. I googled the Case "Cheetah" pattern knives and there were 7 pages of them for sale and I only saw 3 similar to yours, that is ones without the swing guard and the lock. Don't know if that makes them rare or not but 3 out of 350 available tend to make me wonder. ::hmm:: The three similar to yours were 6111 1/2 , none with stag handles, 5111 1/2. Yours is a fine looking knife and I would much rather have one like it than one with with the swing guard and lock, just a simple big jack knife!
Somebody with real knowledge should show up and give you some help, all my babbling is from google and my own opinion. ::facepalm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
joesskankshack

Post by joesskankshack »

treefarmer wrote:Joe,
I'll agree with Chris, a SFO for Bass Pro. I googled the Case "Cheetah" pattern knives and there were 7 pages of them for sale and I only saw 3 similar to yours, that is ones without the swing guard and the lock. Don't know if that makes them rare or not but 3 out of 350 available tend to make me wonder. ::hmm:: The three similar to yours were 6111 1/2 , none with stag handles, 5111 1/2. Yours is a fine looking knife and I would much rather have one like it than one with with the swing guard and lock, just a simple big jack knife!
Somebody with real knowledge should show up and give you some help, all my babbling is from google and my own opinion. ::facepalm::
Treefarmer
Thank you! That is still helpful and gives me more knowledge about the knife. Hopefully, someone else will stumble on the post and have ideas about it.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

The Red Head on the box is definitely Bass Pro. That is their logo. I would guess and it’s only a guess from years of experience that this being an SFO there were probably at least 500 made. I haven’t seen very many SFO’s done for a lower quantity. There are exceptions, Shepherd Hills had only 100 of each made in ivory back about 8 years ago. But that was special and due to the very limited nature of the handle material.
Given how big Bass Pro is and how big their Case displays are in every store, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had 1000’s made. Not high 1000’s but low 1000’s. You probably don’t see many of these come up for sale because of the low quantity produced and the fact that it’s one of the nicest looking knives most people have ever seen. That one is exceptional.
Hope this helps a bit. Sorry I don’t have any definitive numbers for you on production.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
joesskankshack

Post by joesskankshack »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:The Red Head on the box is definitely Bass Pro. That is their logo. I would guess and it’s only a guess from years of experience that this being an SFO there were probably at least 500 made. I haven’t seen very many SFO’s done for a lower quantity. There are exceptions, Shepherd Hills had only 100 of each made in ivory back about 8 years ago. But that was special and due to the very limited nature of the handle material.
Given how big Bass Pro is and how big their Case displays are in every store, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had 1000’s made. Not high 1000’s but low 1000’s. You probably don’t see many of these come up for sale because of the low quantity produced and the fact that it’s one of the nicest looking knives most people have ever seen. That one is exceptional.
Hope this helps a bit. Sorry I don’t have any definitive numbers for you on production.
SSk
I am looking into selling the knife. Any idea on how much you think it is worth?
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

joesskankshack wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:The Red Head on the box is definitely Bass Pro. That is their logo. I would guess and it’s only a guess from years of experience that this being an SFO there were probably at least 500 made. I haven’t seen very many SFO’s done for a lower quantity. There are exceptions, Shepherd Hills had only 100 of each made in ivory back about 8 years ago. But that was special and due to the very limited nature of the handle material.
SSk
I am looking into selling the knife. Any idea on how much you think it is worth?
People on here are very reticent to give values. I am too. One would hate to be off by a mile on something like this and that includes myself. But I understand the frustration of trying to figure out value so I will give you my opinion, and you can take it or ignore it. My thoughts when I first saw it was that it was a 100 to 125 dollar knife. I then checked eBay for completed auctions and found one that is from 1996, stag and identical except it didn’t have scrolled bolsters. It sold for 98 dollars and was sold by Silverladdie. He is a big knife seller and his knives get lots of attention and bids. I know that the scrolled bolsters will add another 15 to 25 dollars in value. So my first estimation was correct it’s a 100 to 125 dollar knife.
With that said, eBay takes 10%, Paypal takes 3% more and if you pay to promote your item you will pay another 5 to 10%. So you will clear 75 to 90 dollars depending on what it sells for.
I hope that helps.
I didn’t notice it the first time I looked but it does have a serial number on it and it looks like there are only 3 digits on the knife, so there were probably 500 to 999 made, probably the 500 figure is the number produced. I wonder if they had any other patterns made like that? That would make a nice collection.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
joesskankshack

Post by joesskankshack »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
joesskankshack wrote:
SSk
People on here are very reticent to give values. I am too. One would hate to be off by a mile on something like this and that includes myself. But I understand the frustration of trying to figure out value so I will give you my opinion, and you can take it or ignore it. My thoughts when I first saw it was that it was a 100 to 125 dollar knife. I then checked eBay for completed auctions and found one that is from 1996, stag and identical except it didn’t have scrolled bolsters. It sold for 98 dollars and was sold by Silverladdie. He is a big knife seller and his knives get lots of attention and bids. I know that the scrolled bolsters will add another 15 to 25 dollars in value. So my first estimation was correct it’s a 100 to 125 dollar knife.
With that said, eBay takes 10%, Paypal takes 3% more and if you pay to promote your item you will pay another 5 to 10%. So you will clear 75 to 90 dollars depending on what it sells for.
I hope that helps.
I didn’t notice it the first time I looked but it does have a serial number on it and it looks like there are only 3 digits on the knife, so there were probably 500 to 999 made, probably the 500 figure is the number produced. I wonder if they had any other patterns made like that? That would make a nice collection.
SSk
That is very helpful. I have been seeling a bunch of Case knives on eBay so any guidance helps.
It also got me thinking on how rare it is due to it being numbered. Also, not being able to find it anywhere makes it extra tough.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”