Case XX Halloween Series Designs by Linda Karst

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
joesskankshack

Case XX Halloween Series Designs by Linda Karst

Post by joesskankshack »

I have a 2015 CASE XX HALLOWEEN LINDA KARST RUSSLOCK KNIFE with scrolled bolsters, but unlike everything I have come across online, it does not have a number indicating only limited made. Everything I have found, which is the same model with scrolled bolster has a number on the blade. This is making confused, and if anyone can clarify this for me I would appreciate it.
Attachments
IMG_4390.JPG
IMG_3499.JPG
IMG_5419.JPG
IMG_6813.JPG
IMG_7228.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case XX Halloween Series Designs by Linda Karst

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I know nothing about these myself so out of curiosity I went to the Case Collectors Club forum to see what I could find. Apparently these Karst knives were done by Shepherd Hills Cutlery, a limited number done by Karst and some were “designed by Karst” but mass produced using a laser to copy the design. There’s some discussion there about “watered down” values due to the mass production. You might contact SHC and ask them the difference. https://www.casexx.com/Others/Contact.asp

Also found a picture of one with no number on a CCC forum post.

Ken
Attachments
1F3FAC0B-4750-4CFC-8831-2974F7E8F8B4.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
joesskankshack

Post by joesskankshack »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I know nothing about these myself so out of curiosity I went to the Case Collectors Club forum to see what I could find. Apparently these Karst knives were done by Shepherd Hills Cutlery, a limited number done by Karst and some were “designed by Karst” but mass produced using a laser to copy the design. There’s some discussion there about “watered down” values due to the mass production. You might contact SHC and ask them the difference. https://www.casexx.com/Others/Contact.asp

Also found a picture of one with no number on a CCC forum post.

Ken
I will have to do that since there is not any other info on it out there. I figured it was more mass produced but it is weird how it is harder to find anything about a mass produced version.
joesskankshack

Post by joesskankshack »

So I emailed Shepherd Hill and found out this knife is 1 of 8.
This is what the email said: These were a series we did back in 2015. The factory forgot to number the blades when they scrolled the bolsters. We didn't catch it until a few had been sent out. At the time the original purchaser was given the option to keep as is for a one off knife or send it back to us to have the serial number put on the blade. There were about 8 folk that opted to keep as is. This is one of only 8 that have scrolled bolsters but no serial number on the blade.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Interesting history. ::nod::
Neilt52

Post by Neilt52 »

Hi, I have 2015 set 002, but this is the set that had errors, I think 6 sets were incorrect, now I have both numbered 002, but not scrolled, I ordered mine from shepherd hills, I’ve got pics of them numbered not scrolled, not sure of the value of mine now since I’ve set 002, which I think set 001 was broken at time of sale, so mines lowest numbered set existing now, just unsure how pricing should be
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Neilt52 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:40 pm Hi, I have 2015 set 002, but this is the set that had errors, I think 6 sets were incorrect, now I have both numbered 002, but not scrolled, I ordered mine from shepherd hills, I’ve got pics of them numbered not scrolled, not sure of the value of mine now since I’ve set 002, which I think set 001 was broken at time of sale, so mines lowest numbered set existing now, just unsure how pricing should be
Assuming you're correct and it's really a "one-off" (not saying it's not), then it will be difficult to find comparable sales from which to establish a value. If you want to sell it put it on eBay with a low starting bid and let the bidders determine value. Ebay sold listings of similar Case Linda Karst knives should give a ballpark starting point.

Otherwise you'll need to find a buyer who believes a one-off factory error or low number is more valuable than the others similar to it. To anyone else it's just another Linda Karst made-to-be-collectable knife. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”