Case Tested Jigging

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Tested Jigging

Post by btrwtr »

I came across this eBay sale and immediately thought the bone handles looked to be hand jigged with a dremel type rotary tool. I notified the seller of the same and the sale was immediately taken down and that he said he would check it out. The seller later replied and informed me that he had verified the handles were correct and the sale was reposted.

The overall color of the bone is not in question but I have never seen factory jigging on a Case knife like this before regardless of age. Other than the large oval dremel type cuts it is highly unusual for any dyed and jigged bone to be of lighter color in the cut out recessed jigging than on the surface. If understand the process correctly the bone is first jigged and then dyed. After the knife is hafted any additional shaping tends to remove the outer surfaces that have absorbed more dye and consequently expose lighter colored bone.

To me the handles almost look like they could be original but that for some unknown reason someone at sometime decided to go over the original jigging and hand jig the bone with a rotary tool. Notice that it is the large deep oval jigs that have the light color recesses. Not sure exactly what is going on with the handles but they certainly don't look right to me.

I am not posting the knife in the counterfeit section but would like to see some comments as to what other members think about these handles.
Attachments
C61050L a.jpg
C61050L b.jpg
C61050L c.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Jdub

Re: Case Tested Jigging

Post by Jdub »

I have never seen any jigging like this from the factory. I agree with you it looks as if it has been done with some kind of rotary tool. It’s not even close to the tested era jigging in my opinion. Don’t really understand why one would go through such lengths to do their own style of jigging. It’s not even close to the original style jigging of that era. Good eye Wayne.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The jigging does not look right to me. The “rejig” idea sounds plausible to me. The shield looks to show significant pocket wear. Maybe the handles were worn smooth and someone decided to enhance the depth of the jigs. The handles in their current condition look artificial to me.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Thank you Jerry and Justin for your valued input.

Wayne

jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

I think Jerry is right on someone trying to enhance the original jigging.
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

The whole knife is just so overly cleaned messed with. Seems to be somewhat typical on many older Case knives.

Harold
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

In my opinion, it looks like newly jigged old bone. ::shrug::
Attachments
C61050L b (2).jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here are some examples of what I think the bone should look like on a Case Tested XX C61050L. There is variation in the jigging across these 3 examples, but none of them resemble the original post knife.
Attachments
C61050L Jig Comparison.jpg
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

Looks like 3 good examples from various years of the tested era. Not one looks like the jigging on the knife in question. I agree, I think someone has decided to redo the jigging after handles were worn smooth..?
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Going back and looking though my 180+ Greenbone Knives there not one with jigging like the one shown
Larry W

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Sounds like we may have a consensus from good experience. Bone looks to be at least altered. AAPK is a great resource. The place to go if you want a good answer. Thanks all for the response.

Wayne

jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

btrwtr wrote:Sounds like we may have a consensus from good experience. Bone looks to be at least altered. AAPK is a great resource. The place to go if you want a good answer. Thanks all for the response.

Thank you Wayne for your expertise ::tu:: ::tu::

When it come to high dollar knives I rather go to knife shows and be able to hold and study them.
Larry W

espn77

Post by espn77 »

Interesting that the seller asked whoever he goes to to "verify " the jigging to be correct.
Funny to me how verification is different if your buying or selling.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1967redrider wrote:In my opinion, it looks like newly jigged old bone. ::shrug::
That’s the only explanation that makes sense to me. Wayne’s OP is right on - Case dyed the bone slabs AFTER jigging. Then during the halting process after assembly, bone is removed in the high spots, not in the bottoms of the jigging. The jigging marks should be darker than the surrounding bone, not lighter.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The seller notified me that he has destroyed the knife which I believe is a shame. The knife had been cleaned and consensus here is the the jigging had been altered after the factory. Many altered knives are knowingly bought and sold every day on eBay and elsewhere. That happens all the time. The important thing is that sellers accurately represent what they are selling and that buyers know exactly what they are buying. I honestly don't think the seller knew or thought the jigging had been changed. If the consensus here is correct, and I believe it is, it would be a shame for someone to buy the knife thinking it was correct, but that too happens all the time.

It's important to note that we all have our opinions and we are all certainly entitled to them. I have been wrong here on AAPK before and surely will be again. We have all seen knives posted, even recently in the AAPK Counterfeit Forum that were deemed by majority to be 100% correct. Mistakes are made, opinions are like belly buttons.

Thanks again for all the input.

Wayne

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I agree that the jigging looks odd at least for Tested era jigging.

However, photos are not that great, appear to have too much flash. I would have liked to see the knife in hand. As others have stated, the basic knife looks to be an original Tested.

One possibility is that the bone and jigging are original and correct, but the odd appearance is due to pocket wear and/or perhaps buffing/polishing of the bone itself. Just a possibility.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

The authenticity of the knife doesn't seem to be in question. To destroy the knife is silly. Doing work on a knife isn't wrong either. When selling a knife they just need to be disclosed. Someone wanted a fresher jigging on the knife. That's fine but you can't say the knife is factory original. No matter who is selling it. I get knives repaired just like others do here. Jmo.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

espn77 wrote:The authenticity of the knife doesn't seem to be in question. To destroy the knife is silly.
Agree on both counts.
knifeaholic wrote:photos are not that great, appear to have too much flash.

One possibility is that the bone and jigging are original and correct, but the odd appearance is due to pocket wear and/or perhaps buffing/polishing of the bone itself. Just a possibility.
This is what I think happened. Steve you might recognize the reference knife being used in my picture below. :)

Now venturing into ::dead_horse:: territory with the picture below to support efforts applied to original handles to counter the effects of handle wear which made it worse instead of better (IMO).
Attachments
Case Tested XX Jigging Comparison.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I've seen enough bad hand rotary tool jigging to recognize it when I see it. Not that it can't be done well but this is not well done in my opinion. Buffing or pocket wear would not selectively remove the color from some of the jigging and it would not leave a round or oval depression.

Here are a couple of close ups of the jigging. You can actually see where some of what may be the original jigging has been gone over or run into with a rotary tool. Jigging on top of jigging. Notice the nearly round holes inside some of the oval jigging and round holes at the end of some of the large oval holes in the bottom picture? Never seen anything like this on any original jigged bone factory knife Case or otherwise.

::dead_horse::
Attachments
Untitled.png
2.png

Wayne

cbfd

Post by cbfd »

Wayne,I agree 100% with your opinion on the jigging! Bill
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I agree with all that has been said and really appreciate hearing from the knowledgeable Case experts on this forum. But, most importantly, what a travesty to destroy that beautiful knife just because it has been modified!
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”