Tony Bose Collaboration 2019

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Treejakal

Tony Bose Collaboration 2019

Post by Treejakal »

Here is Tony Bose/ Case collaboration for 2019
https://caseknives.com/blogs/news/bullnose-trapper
Attachments
tony bose 2019.PNG
kootenay joe

Re: Tony Bose Collaboration 2019

Post by kootenay joe »

It does not give size except for Tony saying "very large". Basically it is a Jumbo Trapper, not exactly an exciting pattern. At about 3 times the price of a GEC i wonder if the Case/Bose collabs still sell out ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:It does not give size except for Tony saying "very large". Basically it is a Jumbo Trapper, not exactly an exciting pattern. At about 3 times the price of a GEC i wonder if the Case/Bose collabs still sell out ?
kj
I noticed a pearl cattle knife last week that sold for approximately 65% of its retail value new. I'm not sure what that says. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greg, pearl cattle knife: GEC or Case/Bose ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Greg, pearl cattle knife: GEC or Case/Bose ?
kj
It was a Case/ Bose Roland.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:It does not give size except for Tony saying "very large". Basically it is a Jumbo Trapper, not exactly an exciting pattern. At about 3 times the price of a GEC i wonder if the Case/Bose collabs still sell out ?
kj
I read that the 2019 knife is 4 1/2 inches closed.

There are still 2015, 2017, and 2018 Case/Bose collab knives in stock on dealer's websites at regular retail prices.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "There are still 2015, 2017, and 2018 Case/Bose collab knives in stock on dealer's websites".
I followed the Case/Bose collabs until about 2012. During those years you had to reserve to be sure of getting the handle of your choice. The 'problem' every year was that a significant number of the collabs had 'issues'; e.g. blade play in my Lanny's Clip collab. After paying over $300 it was most disappointing to have to return the knife. Posts at the time in BF showed that many collab buyers felt 'ripped off' because of 'issues'
This Case/Bose 'slow down' could well be due to the high quality knives made by GEC. Of my about 40-50 GEC knives, not one has an 'issue' and i have not read any posts here in recent years about a GEC knife that needed to be returned.
kj
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

I was hoping for a Gunstock or a Congress
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I bought a Tony Bose/Case the first year they were offered. I had no issue with it, but saw nothing that impressed me as worth the premium price. That was the end of my experience with the collaboration, but I assume that along the way there were some nice examples.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Regarding the Case/Bose collabs of the past, I've really taken to the 2009 Norfolk. I can't seem to hold back when I see one for what I consider a reasonable price. I may have just gotten lucky but I've owned 6 of them total and every one was exceptional. Couldn't find any of the flaws that us knife enthusiasts are so good at finding when we set our minds to it. And the walk and talk is a pocket knife lover's dream in my opinion.

My Norfolks have come and gone, mostly to raise funds or trade for other knives that I wanted, but I still have these two.
Attachments
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4179.JPG
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I think that when considering the prices of these Case/Bose collabs it should be noted that these are a piece of Tony Bose for a lot less money than one of his customs. They are Tony Bose's patterns that formerly could only be purchased by having Tony Bose build one for you at 5+ times the price. If not for the collabs, these patterns are out of reach for many of us.

As I understand it, Tony makes two of each pattern. One fully assembled and one disassembled. He then hands them both over to Case and they have their way with them. Possibly under the occasional supervision of Tony Bose but I'm not sure about that part.

The metal parts are cut by Wire EDM and if you've ever seen Wire EDM cut parts you know how impressively precise they are. Most of these collab knives have pivot bushings and all of them have mill relieved liners just like Tony's own customs. Pinned shields (which I think Case should do on late model knives anyway), stainless steel liners and bolsters, higher end blade steels like 154CM, and a nice satin finish on the blades and bolsters.

It's actually pretty sad that some of these come out of the factory with flaws. Even minor ones. They should all be exceptional but they aren't and that's probably why they don't sell out like a red hot GEC anymore.

In my opinion, the good ones are worth the cost considering the features and the cost for one made by Tony himself. Unfortunately, getting a good one can be a gamble at a pretty high price.
Rick T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have an ebony Norfolk and it is excellent. Great pattern. I also still have the 1999 T.Bose/62048, a 4" Wharncliffe Trapper. It is outstanding ! As fine fit & finish as you would find on a $1000 custom. 1999 was the first year for the Case/Bose collabs and they really went all out to make it top notch.
I have had other collabs but none as impressive and well made as the Norfolk and Wharncliffe Trapper.
kj
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

I like them, I have found them to be very good quality except on one the blades didn’t center perfectly when closed. As to how they compare to a custom knife I have nothing to compare them to; custom knives are sort of like seeing that beautiful women at the end of the bar, nice to look at but way out of my league. Here are a couple of my favorites;
Lanny’s clip (love the blade)
Lock back Whittlers (interesting pattern)
Cattle knife (love the bone)
Attachments
20190209_154832[1].jpg
20190209_155014[1].jpg
20190209_155240[1].jpg

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”