Need help appraising knives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Mike harris

Need help appraising knives

Post by Mike harris »

I have a very large collection i need to find out what they are worth . I have several sets and dealer knives
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need help appraising knives

Post by kennedy knives »

Post pictures with descriptions would be helpful
Mike harris

Post by Mike harris »

All case
All case
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Mike welcome to AAPK! It looks like you have some very nice sets there. I'm afraid it's going to take some closer inspection of each set and perhaps if each knife before anyone cold give you an accurate value. It doesn't seem like you are a collector yourself , I'm wondering if you inherited these and what section of the country are you located. There are folks that will come out and appraise them for you.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

gsmith7158 wrote:Mike welcome to AAPK! It looks like you have some very nice sets there. I'm afraid it's going to take some closer inspection of each set and perhaps if each knife before anyone cold give you an accurate value. It doesn't seem like you are a collector yourself , I'm wondering if you inherited these and what section of the country are you located. There are folks that will come out and appraise them for you.

Greg is right on w/ his advice. Looks like there could be some mint sets in there, but need better close ups to figure that out.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

:shock: :shock: ::uc:: ::uc:: :shock: :shock: ::tu::
John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Mike harris

Post by Mike harris »

gsmith7158 wrote:Mike welcome to AAPK! It looks like you have some very nice sets there. I'm afraid it's going to take some closer inspection of each set and perhaps if each knife before anyone cold give you an accurate value. It doesn't seem like you are a collector yourself , I'm wondering if you inherited these and what section of the country are you located. There are folks that will come out and appraise them for you.
I am a collector but i need to pay for my moms funeral. And yes thier is several mint sets
Mike harris

Post by Mike harris »

Uh ere is some better pics
Attachments
20181129_173731.jpg
20181129_173800.jpg
20181129_173708.jpg
20181129_173715.jpg
20181129_173720.jpg
20181129_173615.jpg
20181129_173611.jpg
20181129_173635.jpg
20181129_173628.jpg
20181129_173621.jpg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Mike, you have a very impressive collection. I agree with Greg. I think your best bet is to find someone in your area that will come to your place and look at your collection in person for appraisal.

My sincere condolences for the loss of your Mom and for this unfortunate situation you find yourself in.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Where are you located? With this diverse group of folk... in this forum...it's possible someone, very knowledgeable is near. Knives are like coins...the more desirable pattern and condition...the more they are worth. Generally, to get a good answer...for each knife, It could involve close up photos, of tang stamps, lengths and close inspection. Usually the value is determined by what the market will bear. As a rule, most people here rely on looking up individual knives under E-bay's "Advanced Search" COMPLETED listings...to see what the market actually sold for. People will list knives at all sorts of prices. I'm not a Case collector...but it would appear you have some very nice knives and the advice above, of having someone help you might help get the most money from your sets. If you need to liquidate, rapidly...It's my observation that Case knife sets...like the ones you have, hold a very good value and, like gold, tend to sell at very consistent prices. If you were to list them in individual sets, on Ebay, you would liquidate quickly at numbers, probably very comparable to the other sets that members have provided links to. If you listed those sets, on Ebay it's my opinion, you wouldn't be leaving a lot of money "on the table". I'm fairly certain no one will be walking away with those sets for $100.
Set an auction up to end on Sunday evening, at 5:00 and I think you would do very well.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'd like to add one cautionary note to the post above. If you opt to sell online, be sure you have an accurate handle on what it will cost to ship the items. I sold one of those countertop displays with the knives several years ago and lost a good bit of my profit by underestimating what it would cost to ship the display and knives.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
srm65

Post by srm65 »

Can you send me more detailed views of the knives in the 8th picture from the top.
Sidney Massingale
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

srm65 wrote:Can you send me more detailed views of the knives in the 8th picture from the top.

I’d like to see better photos of that as well. Are all those in that 8th photo Case? It looks to me that some of those are not, but I can’t tell from the photos.
What state do you live in? I might be interested at the right price.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Mike harris

Post by Mike harris »

Doc B wrote:Where are you located? With this diverse group of folk... in this forum...it's possible someone, very knowledgeable is near. Knives are like coins...the more desirable pattern and condition...the more they are worth. Generally, to get a good answer...for each knife, It could involve close up photos, of tang stamps, lengths and close inspection. Usually the value is determined by what the market will bear. As a rule, most people here rely on looking up individual knives under E-bay's "Advanced Search" COMPLETED listings...to see what the market actually sold for. People will list knives at all sorts of prices. I'm not a Case collector...but it would appear you have some very nice knives and the advice above, of having someone help you might help get the most money from your sets. If you need to liquidate, rapidly...It's my observation that Case knife sets...like the ones you have, hold a very good value and, like gold, tend to sell at very consistent prices. If you were to list them in individual sets, on Ebay, you would liquidate quickly at numbers, probably very comparable to the other sets that members have provided links to. If you listed those sets, on Ebay it's my opinion, you wouldn't be leaving a lot of money "on the table". I'm fairly certain no one will be walking away with those sets for $100.
Set an auction up to end on Sunday evening, at 5:00 and I think you would do very well.
I live in ky lexington
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Mike I live about 40 miles south of you. I'd be glad to come help you take some good close up photos of your collection to help you establish a reasonable expectation of the value of your knives. Just let me know if I can help. I also know a couple of Case guys that may be interested in your collection.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Mike harris wrote:
Doc B wrote:Where are you located? With this diverse group of folk... in this forum...it's possible someone, very knowledgeable is near. Knives are like coins...the more desirable pattern and condition...the more they are worth. Generally, to get a good answer...for each knife, It could involve close up photos, of tang stamps, lengths and close inspection. Usually the value is determined by what the market will bear. As a rule, most people here rely on looking up individual knives under E-bay's "Advanced Search" COMPLETED listings...to see what the market actually sold for. People will list knives at all sorts of prices. I'm not a Case collector...but it would appear you have some very nice knives and the advice above, of having someone help you might help get the most money from your sets. If you need to liquidate, rapidly...It's my observation that Case knife sets...like the ones you have, hold a very good value and, like gold, tend to sell at very consistent prices. If you were to list them in individual sets, on Ebay, you would liquidate quickly at numbers, probably very comparable to the other sets that members have provided links to. If you listed those sets, on Ebay it's my opinion, you wouldn't be leaving a lot of money "on the table". I'm fairly certain no one will be walking away with those sets for $100.
I live in ky lexington
I'd say you would be hard pressed to get any better help, anywhere...than with Phil. It's a small knife world :)
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”