Case Kickstart

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Kickstart

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

The CCC Walnut bone, Rogers jigged Case Kickstart came this week. I have been anticipating this for a long time, since the order form came this past summer. The build date on the box is 12/14/18 so it’s fresh from the floor. On the one hand I love it like I love all my case knives. On the other I am disappointed. The thumbstud is rough and could have used a bit of polishing. The pressure to get this to open is more than I expected, especially w/ a thumbstud that feels this rough. It springs open fine, but not all the way. It feels very stiff. You have to push it open to get the lock to engage. I oiled it and worked the blade, oiled it again and worked it some more and finally a 3rd time. After about 50 movements through the open to lock position, it finally locks itself in the open position, but not every time. About every 3 or 4 opens it requires a push.
I don’t intend to carry it, I never do any CCC knife. I had considered buying another one to carry. But after this, I don’t think I want one. That thumbstud would snag my dress pants.
I won’t send it back since you have to be a CCC member to buy the walnut bone and I won’t carry it anyway. Just very curious if anyone else has noticed these drawbacks to this Kickstart knife?
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4974.jpeg
IMG_4975.jpeg
IMG_4976.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
artmcclure
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Case Kickstart

Post by artmcclure »

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to buy one in January, but I think I'll wait a bit.
Art
Art McClure
32man

Post by 32man »

I know Case is trying to offering something different but I am not impressed with this gimmick of a how a knife opens. Too many problems and they all should operate the same way and they don't! Now they are making a kickstart trapperlock,yeah no thanks I can open it fast enough ::td::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I have a rough black kickstart. It’s flawless and is my Sunday go to meeting knife. I was real impressed with mine.
5AA844C8-2C47-49AE-8924-8C9C53B7B63D.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

32man wrote:I know Case is trying to offering something different but I am not impressed with this gimmick of a how a knife opens. Too many problems and they all should operate the same way and they don't! Now they are making a kickstart trapperlock,yeah no thanks I can open it fast enough ::td::
I saw that new Trapperlock kickstart on SHC site the other day. I wondered if they worked any better than the midfolding hunter? The price is quite high on these for having these issues. I do like the idea of a traditional looking slip joint having an assisted opening. Just wish it were less expensive and worked better.
SSK
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”