Case Tested Coke Bottle w/Bowtie shield

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
kydealspr0

Case Tested Coke Bottle w/Bowtie shield

Post by kydealspr0 »

Hi,

This is my first post here in the forums, have been a lurker for some time now.

Recently acquired a Case Tested Coke Bottle with a Bowtie shield. Pics are attached. Can anyone provide more info about this knife, in terms of age/value?

I noticed that the tang stamp sits low on this one. The word "Tested" sits right at the tip of the bolster, maybe even a little bit of the lettering underneath. This knife is TIGHT, takes a lot of effort to open and snaps shut with force.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
2018-05-14 15.49.04.jpg
2018-05-14 15.49.43.jpg
2018-12-04 08.18.58.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Tested Coke Bottle w/Bowtie shield

Post by gsmith7158 »

Your knife is a tested era 1920-40 pattern #C61050 with what looks like a flat grind blade version. In mint condition these knives have a book value of $700-$900 according to Sargent's 7th edition.Yours appears to have a good deal of blade wear so that would substantially reduce the value. The bowtie shield may indicate a knife that was made earlier in the tested era.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kydealspr0

Post by kydealspr0 »

Thank you! One of the things I looked at is that the blade seems much more worn/aged than the handle. Made me question if that is normal, or how realistic it could have been put together from pieces.

Also, is it common to see variance in how low the blade sits (as mentioned before, the word "Tested" is near the bolster edge)?

Another term I've seen is "green bone," which I believe many handles during this period are supposed to be. This appears to be a very deep red through and through.

Thanks for your help.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Nice old Case Tested knife.

Harold
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

kydealspr0 wrote:Also, is it common to see variance in how low the blade sits (as mentioned before, the word "Tested" is near the bolster edge)?
Not quite sure what you're referring to. Can you elaborate a bit more? I'm sure you'd like your question answered but I need a bit more clarification.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Welcome! Now that you've moved from a lurker to a poster we hope to hear from you regularly and hear about your collection as it grows.

As for the term "green bone," here are some posts to get you up to speed. You can find a lot more on the subject through the "Search" function.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58122&p=663912&hili ... ne#p663912
viewtopic.php?t=32713
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=26400&hilit=green+bone

As for value, it's pretty subjective but note there currently are two Tested knives like yours with the bowtie shield in the AAPK store, one for $615 and one for $625. Those are benchmarks only because the condition of the knives are different.

Dennis
kydealspr0

Post by kydealspr0 »

Thanks to all for your help and comments!

To "XX Case XX" -- I am attaching two different pictures of Case Tested stamps (neither are of my knife). Seems to me that on the one with the red backdrop, the bottom of the word "TESTED" is almost tucked beneath the bolster/liner, while on the picture with the white background, there is a gap between the word "TESTED" and the bolster/liner. It is very minute, but the knife I posted earlier in the thread seems to have the word "TESTED" touching the bolster/liner as opposed to having the gap.

Hopefully I explained it a bit better this time around.
Attachments
1522801710_957_1.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

kydealspr0 wrote:Hopefully I explained it a bit better this time around.
I get it now. As it pertains to Case, that kind of thing is common. Knives from the "Tested", "XX", "USA", and "original Dot eras" have that in common. What I mean is, it varies from knife to knife. Remember, these knives were made by people, and each person does things a little bit different.

I once had a dot era Case Folding Hunter. The dots were almost completely hidden from view. I could see the last dot but not the ones in front of them so I had to "guesstimate" how many dots it had if they were centered . To this day, I still don't know for certain what the age was on that knife. The only way to be sure would be to take it apart and see.

Anytime a product is mass produced, it will have what are called "tolerances". That means it can be + or - a certain amount but anything beyond that will be considered a mistake, a "second" or "blemish". In auto racing, there is a term called "Blueprinted". That means that whatever part is being made, it is made to exact specifications with no + or -. It is made to exacting standards and it will be very expensive. That's why today's products are massed produced and don't cost as much.

No two Case knives, or any knife for that matter will be exactly alike. Hope this helps.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kydealspr0

Post by kydealspr0 »

Great, thanks for clarifying! I figured there was a bit of variance, but wasn't sure how much. On this particular knife, the word "TESTED" is almost totally hidden. Now I know that this is normal.

Thanks again!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”