Case dagger knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
espn77

Case dagger knife

Post by espn77 »

Rock Island has this knife offered in there December auction. By there estimated value I assume its fairly rare, especially with the sheath.
Attachments
20181124_191730.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case dagger knife

Post by gsmith7158 »

Keith there was one that sold at auction for more than $10,000a few years back. It included a lot of provenance with it so it's history was traceable to a specific WWII Sargeant.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yep, that knife is a holy grail of American military knife collectors. With either the short sheath shown in the ad or the FSSF long sheath. Knife was designed for the FSSF (First Special Service Forces) a joint WW2 US/Canada fighting group and the forerunner of today's special forces. FSSF troops were called "black devils" by the Germans because they were so adept at creeping behind lines and killing Germans in the night.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Case has released one or two commemorative reproductions of the V-42. The most recent was 2015. Here's a thread about it.viewtopic.php?f=44&t=49686 If you read down several posts into the thread there's some good info on the history.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

There are several other companies besides Case making repros of the V42, but even the Case made ones cannot hold a candle to the originals. I only have one original, they are just too pricey for me to have several. I would love to have the one at RIA auction, but in retirement it is just too much of a layout unless I want to get on the cat food regimen and walk rather than drive. Just the sheaths for these babies go for over five hundred if one can be found.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”