Case Chatanooga Coca Cola 52109X

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Gumshoe

Case Chatanooga Coca Cola 52109X

Post by Gumshoe »

Coca Cola 52109X 1997 JPEG10302018.jpg
I recently purchased this Case Chattanooga Coca Cola knife. It appears to be a stock production knife that has been engraved on the blades and bolsters. The knife was made in 1996.

Mark side clip blade is "Chattanooga Coca Cola" in red.

Mark side pen blade is "World's First Coca Cola bottler" in red.

Mark side right bolster is "1997."

Mark side left bolster is "131."

Just wondering who did the engraving - Case (SFO?) or someone else and how many were made? It is #131 of ?? The knife is unused in the box. There is no mention of Coca Cola on the box.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Chatanooga Coca Cola 52109X

Post by jerryd6818 »

That's a fine one. ::tu::

Couldn't tell you who did the engraving. I always just assumed it was done at the factory. I don't know when they started coming out with a yearly knife for the Chatanooga Coca Cola bottling plant, nor when they stopped. I've seen a few others on eBay and I have a Camillus 72 from 1992. Tis a conundrum. If you were a big Coke fan it would make a neat collectable.

Edit: Saw on eBay a seller claiming that 2003 was the last year Case was licensed to produce Coca Cola knives. ::shrug::
Attachments
Camillus 72 Coke 1992 Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Likely done at the factory. Case does a lot of special factory orders. They have laser engraving and other tooling capability for customization. You may be able to get production numbers bynsendingban email request to consumer-relations@wrcase.com

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

That has the look of the work Sargents did on club knives of that era.
Roger
Kulrich

Post by Kulrich »

I agree, looks like a Jim Sargent job. He did lots of "special" knife boxed knives that sold at quite a premium but not a real big secondary market for them.
Freedom: You have the right to be you, I have the right to be free of you.
Gumshoe

Post by Gumshoe »

Thank you for the replies. I did email Case Customer Relations for additional information. I will update this post when they get back to me.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”