Letters in pattern # question

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
fitzroe

Letters in pattern # question

Post by fitzroe »

I have a 65-69 9201 R. What does the R mean? Thanks
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Letters in pattern # question

Post by Railsplitter »

For that particular pattern it means the knife has a bail at the butt end. The "R" also can designate a Razor blade but I doubt if your knife has one of those.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Railsplitter wrote:For that particular pattern it means the knife has a bail at the butt end.
You would think that Case would have used a "B" instead. They did some weird stuff once in a while. :shock:

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

XX Case XX wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:For that particular pattern it means the knife has a bail at the butt end.
You would think that Case would have used a "B" instead. They did some weird stuff once in a while. :shock:

Actually, it should have been S for shackle. Most of the old-timers (probably not all) called them shackles. Bails are on pails. And folk in boats sometimes have to bail out some unwanted water. Not to mention the necessity to bail out from time to time. And bales speak loudly of hay and cotton.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It's always fun to second guess our predecessors. ::doh:: In his book Steve Pfeiffer speculates the "R" originated as an abbreviation for "ring". They apparently couldn't use "S" (for shackle) because it was already being used as the designator for sterling silver, which was a commonly used material "back when" gentlemen carried fancy knives for watch fobs. And then there's always SP for Spey, SH for Sheepfoot, and so on. There are older posts here asking "why didn't they just use S instead of SP?" And so on. :lol:

By the way you can find a list of abbreviations used by Case in the Research section here at AAPK. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... d-by-case/

The evolution of the English language has always interested me. The metal handle on a bucket is a "bail", as Cal points out. So maybe that also made sense at the time. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

tongueriver wrote:Actually, it should have been S for shackle.
I must be weird because when I see the word "Shackle" I think "Handcuffs"...

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

XX Case XX wrote:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
XX Case XX wrote:

Ken
Yes, that's what I called them when I placed them around other people's wrists. And then I made certain they were double locked...

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Touché! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I shackled one end of the chain to the eye I spliced in nylon line and shacked the other end to my anchor. I thought a person constrained with handcuffs was not said to be shackled unless there was also a chain between their ankles or at least around their waist. Maybe that's because my only experience is TV and movies.

Case's wire thingy is for attachment of a lanyard. Hence R for lanyard ring makes sense. Other than it being the common modern name calling Case's wire thingy a bail makes less sense.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

fitzroe wrote:I have a 65-69 9201 R. What does the R mean? Thanks
Can you post photos of the knife? I have never seen a 9201 from 65-69 with a bail.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

There ya go! It's a wire thingy!! ::groove::

Where'd I put my crayons? :wink:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
fitzroe

Post by fitzroe »

Mine doesn't have the bail. Just 2 tiny holes. I would like to see one too. I doubt many survived they couldn't have been very strong

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”