New Case knives with pocketclips question

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
markpreston

New Case knives with pocketclips question

Post by markpreston »

Good day all, I'm looking to get a case trapper (2 blade) or trapper liner. Any thoughts on the clips themselves? Do they ride in the pocket like modern folders? I honestly cant carry a 2 blade trapper the traditional way its just too big. Would the clip help? (I wear cargo shorts and jeans). What model do you who have them like and why/why not. Thank you in advance.
Old Hunter

Re: New Case knives with pocketclips question

Post by Old Hunter »

Mark, I want to welcome you to AAPK. Don't have a Case with a clip so I cannot answer your question. You may also want to look around here for some of the threads on "How do you carry your pocketknife?" Many ideas about that. Welcome, OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have a clipped Trapper-loc.. It rides kinda high.. I have gotten used to it and it aint an issue but thought I would throw that out.. I carry in the rrp.. John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I'm retired and wear mostly jeans and cargo shorts. I carry my trapper or whatever similar sized knife I happen to carry in the bottom of my right front pocket. Sorry but I don't see an issue. Pocket clips and me have never gotten along.
Perception is Reality
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mark, welcome to AAPK. Ask a question here and you will get as many opinions as fleas on a dog's back. That's okay because it gives you perspectives you may not have considered. I don't recall running across very many Case knives with a clip attached. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK Mark. Not the first time this question has been asked here.

The fashion trend toward tighter "skinny jeans" and pants has created a situation that makes carrying a knife in the pocket difficult, at least for some. On some pants I've seen the pockets are useless - when wearing them you can't even get your hand into the pocket! I've personally never had a problem carrying a Trapper-size knife in the front pocket of jeans or cargo shorts, but I don't wear those skinny jeans or shorts - for one thing they'd look ridiculous on someone my age! ::woot::

Case has introduced a few new patterns with pocket clips, and added pocket clip options to some traditional patterns like the Trapper. I have tried carrying a Trapper-sized knife with a clip in my back pocket. No problem as far as comfort goes. However I wasn't wearing skinny jeans.

Have you given any thought to trying the 07 Mini-Trapper? I don't think it comes in a pocket clip version, but it's a smaller version of the Trapper pattern. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=52911

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

AR Norby wrote:I'm retired and wear mostly jeans and cargo shorts. I carry my trapper or whatever similar sized knife I happen to carry in the bottom of my right front pocket. Sorry but I don't see an issue. Pocket clips and me have never gotten along.

same here - I avoid knives with pocket clips
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Welcome to AAPK Mark. Not the first time this question has been asked here.

The fashion trend toward tighter "skinny jeans" and pants has created a situation that makes carrying a knife in the pocket difficult, at least for some. On some pants I've seen the pockets are useless - when wearing them you can't even get your hand into the pocket! I've personally never had a problem carrying a Trapper-size knife in the front pocket of jeans or cargo shorts, but I don't wear those skinny jeans or shorts - for one thing they'd look ridiculous on someone my age! ::woot::

Case has introduced a few new patterns with pocket clips, and added pocket clip options to some traditional patterns like the Trapper. I have tried carrying a Trapper-sized knife with a clip in my back pocket. No problem as far as comfort goes. However I wasn't wearing skinny jeans.

Have you given any thought to trying the 07 Mini-Trapper? I don't think it comes in a pocket clip version, but it's a smaller version of the Trapper pattern. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=52911

Ken
Or perhaps the single blade version of the slimline trapper - I just bought my first & I like it alot - so much slimmer and easier to carry (in the pocket) than a full size trapper

John
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Welcome to AAPK Mark. Not the first time this question has been asked here.

Ken
Or perhaps the single blade version of the slimline trapper - I just bought my first & I like it alot - so much slimmer and easier to carry (in the pocket) than a full size trapper

John
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Working in a school, a pocket clip would just draw attention to the fact I have a knife in my pocket.
For that reason, I, too, do not carry knives with clips.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
slimtrap48

Post by slimtrap48 »

I personally don't care to carry a full sized Trapper in my pocket. I prefer single blades for most of my daily carries. Copper lock, Slimline Trapper and tribal locks are an easy carry. I like pocket clips too. I have a trapper lock w/clip and also a mid folding hunter (kick start) w/clip that are in the rotation. I've not carried one in my back pocket much, couldn't get used to it being there. There's my 2 cents, take that and a dollar and maybe you can get a drink somewhere. :oops: ::groove::
Wharnecilff

Post by Wharnecilff »

Just my two cents worth here, but none of cases traditional folders we're designed with a pocket clip in mind...and they never should have added that option ..kinda like putting mag wheels on a Rolls Royce...there are some places where they obviously don't belong. Also i know from experience that you are much more likely to lose a knife with a clip, in some situations, than one riding safe and secure down in the bottom of your pocket ..like I say..just my two cents worth ..
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I carry my Case Trapperlock in a leather pouch in my LFP. Dosen't have a clip, but I do think they make 1 with a clip,its on the high side of $90. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Case has a couple the new kick start mid folding hunter & a trapper lock the trapper lock comes in bone also ::tu::
Attachments
Mid Folding Hunter Kick Start
Mid Folding Hunter Kick Start
Case & Spyderco 009.JPG
Trapper Lock
Trapper Lock
Case & Spyderco 026.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Wharnecilff wrote:Just my two cents worth here, but none of cases traditional folders we're designed with a pocket clip in mind...and they never should have added that option ..kinda like putting mag wheels on a Rolls Royce...there are some places where they obviously don't belong. Also i know from experience that you are much more likely to lose a knife with a clip, in some situations, than one riding safe and secure down in the bottom of your pocket ..like I say..just my two cents worth ..
I agree. Every Case w/ a pocket clip I have tried to carry I gave up on after just a few times. The clips seem to be too long and makes the knife ride high and very obvious you have a knife in your pocket.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”