Inherited a Knife Collection filled with Case Knives - Any of these jump out at you?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Modern Slip Joints

Re: Inherited a Knife Collection filled with Case Knives - Any of these jump out at you?

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

You have a big variety of ages and conditions in your collection. I can contribute the value of your blue 4 blade Stockman. I bought two of them off eBay during 2017. I bought an identical 6447 for $49 and an SC6447 that only has different bone sides for $56. The SC prefix means the bone was jigged and dyed to look like second cut stag. Add $4 or $5 to each for shipping. My blue one was made in 1995 and other one in 1994. They are odd knives that I believe Case assembled to stimulate collector sales. Since the 4th coping blade will not do anything that can not be done with the standard 6347 Stockman's sheep's foot blade the design is not entirely logical but they sure are different which is what collectors like.

I hope one of the experts here can answer a question about the small two blade knife in your picture right after the blue 4 blade Stockman. I do not recall a clip point secondary blade in such a small Case knife. In tiny knives a pen blade has been standard for a long time. Is it a very old Case or not a Case at all? :? I know very little about old Case knives.

I like the Whittler that is the last picture in the same reply the best.

I would not be too disappointed over the large Toothpick being fake. Your "paw-paw" may well have known it was a fake when he traded for it and only traded what it was worth to him to carry around in his pocket. Since you like it and it is not worth a bucket of money instead of selling it you could carry it around in your pocket or purse to help remember him.
OleSmoky

Re: Inherited a Knife Collection filled with Case Knives - Any of these jump out at you?

Post by OleSmoky »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:You have a big variety of ages and conditions in your collection. I can contribute the value of your blue 4 blade Stockman. I bought two of them off eBay during 2017. I bought an identical 6447 for $49 and an SC6447 that only has different bone sides for $56. The SC prefix means the bone was jigged and dyed to look like second cut stag. Add $4 or $5 to each for shipping. My blue one was made in 1995 and other one in 1994. They are odd knives that I believe Case assembled to stimulate collector sales. Since the 4th coping blade will not do anything that can not be done with the standard 6347 Stockman's sheep's foot blade the design is not entirely logical but they sure are different which is what collectors like.

I hope one of the experts here can answer a question about the small two blade knife in your picture right after the blue 4 blade Stockman. I do not recall a clip point secondary blade in such a small Case knife. In tiny knives a pen blade has been standard for a long time. Is it a very old Case or not a Case at all? :? I know very little about old Case knives.

I like the Whittler that is the last picture in the same reply the best. I think it is a 1970s 6380 CV 4" closed Whittler but we'll see if I'm corrected on that.

I would not be too disappointed over the large Toothpick being fake. Your "paw-paw" may well have known it was a fake when he traded for it and only traded what it was worth to him to carry around in his pocket. Since you like it and it is not worth a bucket of money instead of selling it you could carry it around in your pocket or purse to help remember him.
Wow, that’s some great information! Thank you so much for taking the time to share!
OleSmoky

Post by OleSmoky »

Missed one!

Barber Half Dollar knife....can't find details online about this one...anything you all know about it is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_8039.jpeg

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”