Case display/sample board from 1970s

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
rolen27

Case display/sample board from 1970s

Post by rolen27 »

Anyone with info on this sample board? Can’t seem to find much out there in my research. I know it came down my dads hardware store, which he closed in the 80s. All case knives here. Any advice on how to care for it?
Attachments
47DC7414-4C7E-4A04-AF13-2AE2C6689725.jpeg
3C6ACEB6-A01C-432B-AC1D-1B1381E6D80B.jpeg
649C11C9-C49B-45E6-9F78-7E07267204E1.jpeg
288291C8-9A86-4E6C-A85C-BC377E7D549E.jpeg
B7D88FAD-38B2-4641-8489-1BA61A8FF732.jpeg
CE3E7BAC-2CDF-4324-BF03-7FCE8E6D8BB8.jpeg
6F3750A8-16B0-47C8-8495-188412E47DA8.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case display/sample board from 1970s

Post by Mumbleypeg »

From what I can see it appears to date from around 1977. It originally was in a wooden retail display cabinet. Measure the height and width of the board and someone here may know what model display case it was from. (Case made several different sizes. Dealers could buy the size they wanted and specify which knives they wanted mounted on the board.)

Unfortunately several of the knives appear to have issues of blades rusting, and deteriorating covers (handles). Those problems will be difficult to fix (but can be fixed to some extent) and will require removing those problem knives from the board. If you want to restore it and don't mind spending some money to do it, I would send the problem knives to someone who can re-handle them and repair or restore, to the extent possible, the rusted blades. The knives can be re-wired to the board after repair. Then I'd look for an original wooden display to mount it in.

Case Repair can replace the covers but may not be able to replace the blades that are damaged, especially on those patterns they no longer manufacture. There are some knife restore and repair gurus who are members here that could help you if that's the path you choose.

If you just want to keep it as near "as-is" as possible and stop the deterioration, you'll still need to remove the damaged knives, clean them and remove the rust, re-wire them to the board. Then keep it away from sunlight and in a dry climate-controlled environment, like in a cabinet with dessicant.

Below is a picture of a similar retail display, but a different size than your board, from an old Case catalog. The board you have would have been in one of these originally, or could perhaps have been ordered to replace another board.

Ken
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Rolen, I know what I would do with it, but I might get some disagreement on this. I would take all the knives off, clean them properly and oil them and either store them in individually wrapped paper, the kind that is acid free, or display them under glass.
I would not leave those blades open. This is where people will disagree, I think that a knife in the open position will cause metal fatigue. If you do take them off the board, I would love to hear back from you on whether they all snap now, or are some of these weak from having been opened for decades?
There are some recent threads on here about display knives. Someone posted a pic up the other day of a display board, that looked a lot like this one, it was on eBay. We were discussing this very thing about the springs and issues that people have when they buy display knives.
I’m a bit OCD when it comes to taking care of my knives so keep that in mind.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:I would not leave those blades open. This is where people will disagree, I think that a knife in the open position will cause metal fatigue. If you do take them off the board, I would love to hear back from you on whether they all snap now, or are some of these weak from having been opened for decades?
Mark
This will be interesting to see the results.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
rolen27

Post by rolen27 »

Thanks, y’all! I will definitely keep you updated!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

To me it appears that the original board was assembled in the 1970-71 time frame. I base this on the appearance of the bone handles on some knives. Prices have been updated and are from the mid to late 70's. Several of the knives in the upper half have been replaced. We have another thread on this particular board somewhere in AAPK.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

To the OP: I can tell you this - condition is everything in collectibles, and the price you tried to get in your ebay auction was waaay too high for the condition of these knives.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Silly me. Thought the OP wanted to keep it and restore it for sentimental reasons - didn't know it had already been listed for sale on eBay! ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thought the OP wanted to keep it and restore it for sentimental reasons
As did I. He stated he wanted to know how to "care for it" which, to me, implies he was going to keep it. ::shrug::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I don't think his reserve has been met, so he probably will keep it.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
rolen27

Post by rolen27 »

So to clear up things, I am not the seller on eBay.. that would be my brother, with whom I have a different opinion as far as what to do with these knives. Yes, for sentimental reasons, I’d like to keep them in the family, clean them up, take care of them, and enjoy having rnm and the memories they bring. Our compromise was to set an eBay reserve (which I’m not sure what it is) and if they don’t sell for the reserve price, I get to work at restoring them. I’m sorry to some of you it seems my motives and questions weren’t forthright.
I am genuinely interested in knives and always have been. I love this set, but not comfodent in my own ability to restore them to their best shape. I am new to collecting knives, which is why I have reached out here for help. I appreciate the help and advice. And if anyone is still interested, I will continue a conversation when it comes to this piece. If not, again, thank you all for your help and advice.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be happy to help you any way I can.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Rolen, thanks for clearing things up. Good luck on the restorations and the memories. ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Rolen, Sorry for the disagreement in the family. Hope you get to enjoy the knives. If you need any advice on cleaning them, just ask. Plus there are several threads on here about that very topic. I enjoy cleaning knives, I know that’s weird, but my job doesn’t offer very many opportunities for immediate gratification. Watching an old knife come back to pristine condition is very rewarding.
Some of those knives are going to need more than just cleaning. It looks like that board was in the sun for many years. I bet when you get the knives off the board and look at the back of those knives you will see a HUGE difference in color.
Keep us informed about what happens.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

rolen27 wrote: Our compromise was to set an eBay reserve (which I’m not sure what it is)
Okay Rolen, first things first. Thank you for the clarification. Now, everything makes sense. So, as far as the "Reserve" goes, this is how it works:

You list an item on eBay as an "Auction". You set a "Reserve". That's the minimum amount of money you are willing to accept for that item. If no one bids at least that amount by the time the auction ends, the item does not sell.

A bidder, however, can bid "higher" than your reserve and that's okay. If a person bids equal to or more than your reserve, your item sells.

You might be able to set a reserve on eBay without listing it as an auction, but as a "Buy-it-Now", which means there is no bidding. A person either buys your item outright or doesn't. I don't know if you can do it that way because I've never tried. Hope this helps.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

rolen27 wrote:So to clear up things, I am not the seller on eBay.. that would be my brother, with whom I have a different opinion as far as what to do with these knives. Yes, for sentimental reasons, I’d like to keep them in the family, clean them up, take care of them, and enjoy having rnm and the memories they bring. Our compromise was to set an eBay reserve (which I’m not sure what it is) and if they don’t sell for the reserve price, I get to work at restoring them. I’m sorry to some of you it seems my motives and questions weren’t forthright.
I am genuinely interested in knives and always have been. I love this set, but not comfodent in my own ability to restore them to their best shape. I am new to collecting knives, which is why I have reached out here for help. I appreciate the help and advice. And if anyone is still interested, I will continue a conversation when it comes to this piece. If not, again, thank you all for your help and advice.
rolen,
For your sake, I hope they don't sell. It can be hard to deal with family sometimes. If money is not needed, I like when things stay in the family if family members are interested in them. If nothing else, maybe you can split them, you keep yours and he sells his. Good luck.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Rolen, Sorry for the disagreement in the family. Hope you get to enjoy the knives. If you need any advice on cleaning them, just ask. Plus there are several threads on here about that very topic. I enjoy cleaning knives, I know that’s weird, but my job doesn’t offer very many opportunities for immediate gratification. Watching an old knife come back to pristine condition is very rewarding.
Some of those knives are going to need more than just cleaning. It looks like that board was in the sun for many years. I bet when you get the knives off the board and look at the back of those knives you will see a HUGE difference in color.
Keep us informed about what happens.
Mark
This is how I feel Mark as my real job is mentally and physically exhausting and sitting in my little workshop restoring knives makes me relaxed and happy , so I'll be more than pleased to help out with questions ,shame you don't live closer as I would help restore them ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Well, it looks like it sold at a reduced reserve.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
rolen27

Post by rolen27 »

Late in response, but it did not sell! I’m working with a few local guys at restoring the knives! Thanks for all your inputs!
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

It's even more interesting in the context of the prices back in the late 70's. The most expensive knife on the board is a #079, pearl sided sleeveboard. Those always bring good money, but i'm surprised how much more that pattern was than the bone sided larger knives, which go for much more on today's market ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Lansky1 wrote:It's even more interesting in the context of the prices back in the late 70's. The most expensive knife on the board is a #079, pearl sided sleeveboard. Those always bring good money, but i'm surprised how much more that pattern was than the bone sided larger knives, which go for much more on today's market ...
Yes...the peals were expensive due to manufacturing costs.

Case's most expensive pocket knife in the 70's was the Fly Fisherman. It retailed for $20.00 when a stag folding hunter sold for $11.00.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”