Case Knife Display Case for sale-(not mine)

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
XX Case XX

Case Knife Display Case for sale-(not mine)

Post by XX Case XX »

In "Case" anyone's interested, there is a unique looking Case knife display for sale on eBay. (Not mine and I have no connection with seller).https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-knife-sho ... 1438.l2649

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Knife Display Case for sale-(not mine)

Post by Knife Nut »

Nice glass case, but I would be worried about arriving at a shipping destination with broken glass.

Paul
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That reminds me, what do you all think of buying display knives? My worry is the back springs would be stretched having the blades open for years. Plus you rarely see the back side of the knives in the photo’s. Really concerns me. Anyone had experience buying these?
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
slimtrap48

Post by slimtrap48 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:That reminds me, what do you all think of buying display knives? My worry is the back springs would be stretched having the blades open for years. Plus you rarely see the back side of the knives in the photo’s. Really concerns me. Anyone had experience buying these?
Mark

One thing I've noticed with the display knives is the displayed side is usually faded. And yes, sometimes the springs have sprung.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I have seen many with faded covers on the mark side. I have yet to ever see one that had any problems with the springs. Despite opinions to the contrary I don't believe it's a valid issue. Backspring metal fatigue has been debated here on other threads in the past. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I have seen many with faded covers on the mark side. I have yet to ever see one that had any problems with the springs.
Here's a perfect example. This is one of mine. You can see where the sun faded the bone (green circle), and you can also see where the wire was wrapped around the knife (blue arrow). The backsprings are fantastic. Great snap on both blades. You can really see both areas good if you click on the image to supersize.

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I bought this one a few months ago and it most certainly had the blades open like this since 1985. Does not seemed to have hurt it at all. It has to have the blades open or it won't fit in the box.
IMG_1806.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I can definitely say that some knives that are left in a box w/ the blade partially opened, do get metal fatigue. I bought an NKCA Cripple Creek Pearl knife and spent a lot on it. So I was surprised when the main blade wouldn’t snap very well. It had been left open for about 10 years. One knife had the back-spring actually sticking out. It had been in a display box for many years, actually over 20 years. It was a Case knife.
I don’t leave any knife in a display box w/ the blades open. I put them under glass in one of my cases and put the case in storage.
Color fade I know is another problem. Seen that also on the early CCC knives that came w/ display plaques. Those that were put on the plaques faded on one side and some had weak snap. I’ve seen this enough to not leave them open.
I wondered about what the wires would do to the handle material. That photo really helps.
Thanks,
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I always thought it odd that factories would attach knives to a display board with metal wires. I guess that they weren't thinking that those particular knives wouldn't be collector knives at some point. I have seen a lot of knives terribly scratched from where they were attached at the factory. Seems like plastic zip ties might have been a better alternative.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

boykinlp wrote:I always thought it odd that factories would attach knives to a display board with metal wires. I guess that they weren't thinking that those particular knives wouldn't be collector knives at some point. I have seen a lot of knives terribly scratched from where they were attached at the factory. Seems like plastic zip ties might have been a better alternative.
Excellent point Larry. I think your assessment is absolutely correct. ::nod:: If you look at the photo of my Case a few posts up you can clearly see what the wire did to that knife.

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The display case that Mike posted is a scarce one - only used for about 2 years by Case. It was made specifically for the "Gentlemen's Line". This was a line of 12 small knives with gift boxes. Initially Case wanted to only sell this line through jewelry and gift shops, not through the normal Case dealer channels.

Only sold that way from maybe late 1979 til 1981.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

boykinlp wrote:I always thought it odd that factories would attach knives to a display board with metal wires. I guess that they weren't thinking that those particular knives wouldn't be collector knives at some point. I have seen a lot of knives terribly scratched from where they were attached at the factory. Seems like plastic zip ties might have been a better alternative.
I have a good deal of experience with plastic zip ties. They're temporary - only a matter of time, depending on the environment, before all the items on the board would be lying in a pile at the bottom. Steel wire on the other hand is much more permanent.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Doesn't have to be plastic zip ties, but there has to be something better than steel wire. JMHO.
Larry

Each one, teach one.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”