To clean or not to clean--an older case knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
44mag

To clean or not to clean--an older case knife

Post by 44mag »

Gentlemen and ladies,
I am new to this forum and have been generously welcomed by a few members, I have a question that has bothered me for some years. Almost every area of collecting uses the rule not to clean any antique lest you ruin the value. Over the years I have cleaned a number of knives for my own use. However, I now have a Case Tested knife that I will sell and am torn on whether to clean it, and if I do, how aggressively? Any thoughts and opinions will be welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Bruce
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: To clean or not to clean--an older case knife

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Here's a link to a post that addresses your question. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157
Enjoy! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Clean the gunk ( if any) in the blade well. Shine the bolsters with a little elbow grease and a cloth
with your favorite compound. Lubricate the joints. That's it. Don't use any kind of buffing wheel
or any electric tools. If the new owner wants it more shiny, he can do it.

I have passed on several knives on e-bay that have been over buffed.

Bob

'
44mag

Post by 44mag »

Thanks, Guys. I will go at this slowly. Greatly appreciated
Bruce
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here.
It would be great if you could share some pictures of your knife and any others you may have. ::tu::
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

AAPK Welcome Sign - New+.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I would agree that since you will be selling it, you should do only a minimal cleaning and the rest is left up to the new owner.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

If you're selling on eBay, shiny sells. I'm not a fan of shiny but the ones with deep pockets seem to be. And ::welcome:: to AAPK!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
44mag

Post by 44mag »

Oh Wow, I do have a few knives, but probably none as nice as some I've seen you guys post already. I will try to put up a picture of the knife I asked about in my first post about cleaning.. I will also say that I have belonged to an old hand tools list for a good number of years, simply because the knowledge base was fantastic and the members were and are very welcoming and courteous to each other. This group has shown the same qualities so far and I look forward to a long and happy association with you all. You have been very welcoming and I thank you.
Bruce
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I would agree that shiny sells. And I agree that you shouldn’t use a machine on the blades. SImichrome and a cloth, followed by oil on the blades and get the bolsters and all the metal w/ the Simichrome. One thing that is often overlooked on a knife is the brass pins. Just go over them too w/ the Simichrome and brighten them a little along w/ the backsprings. My feeling on this is that people want to be able to see the condition of the knife. By lightly cleaning and polishing you will unveil the true defects, such as pitting. I pass on dirty untouched knives. I don’t want to get it and find pits in the blade or other metals, unless I am looking for that particular knife and that is typical of that knife.
That’s been my experience.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”