Case Coke Bottle Knives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
RalphAlsip

Re: Case Coke Bottle Knives

Post by RalphAlsip »

gsmith7158 wrote:Jerry this is a great education for me. It appears that all of the pre tested Knives have the nail pull forward of the tested blades. The pre tested blades also seem to have a fuller appearance. Is that a correct assumption or am I reading incorrectly?
Greg, I like studying these old knives (too much time on my hands lol). Your observations match mine. Some of the pre-tested blades will have a double pull. I don't have any Case coke bottle examples with a double pull, but I have an old Napanoch with a double pull. The pre-tested blades seem to be predominantly flat ground and have swedges. The Tested bare head examples also seem to be flat ground. The Tested examples with the copperhead bolster are sabre ground. The Case XX C61050 SAB has a beefy blade. The Tested 0050 has the smallest blade. A comparison picture is included below.
Attachments
Case Cokebottle Blade Comparison.jpg
Case Tested XX C61050 A #3 small.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

RalphAlsip wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Jerry this is a great education for me. It appears that all of the pre tested Knives have the nail pull forward of the tested blades. The pre tested blades also seem to have a fuller appearance. Is that a correct assumption or am I reading incorrectly?
Greg, I like studying these old knives (too much time on my hands lol). Your observations match mine. Some of the pre-tested blades will have a double pull. I don't have any Case coke bottle examples with a double pull, but I have an old Napanoch with a double pull. The pre-tested blades seem to be predominantly flat ground and have swedges. The Tested bare head examples also seem to be flat ground. The Tested examples with the copperhead bolster are sabre ground. The Case XX C61050 SAB has a beefy blade. The Tested 0050 has the smallest blade. A comparison picture is included below.
Yes,yes,yes the SAB's are obviously the beefier knife but I do like the pre tested nail knick and blade shape. Looks like that is going to be a must have. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

This pattern is sometimes called a Slim Coke Bottle. I believe the correct pattern number for this knife if 61113, however you will see it identified in some references (e.g., Sargents 7th) as a 61213. There is a pattern 61213 1/2 which is a fishtail switchblade which is why I lean toward the slim coke bottle being a 61113. Anyway this is a long, slender knife with a coke bottle shaped frame.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 61113 #1 small.jpg
Case Tested XX 61113 #3 small.jpg
Case Tested XX 61113 Top & Bottom.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

RalphAlsip wrote:This pattern is sometimes called a Slim Coke Bottle. I believe the correct pattern number for this knife if 61113, however you will see it identified in some references (e.g., Sargents 7th) as a 61213. There is a pattern 61213 1/2 which is a fishtail switchblade which is why I lean toward the slim coke bottle being a 61113. Anyway this is a long, slender knife with a coke bottle shaped frame.
Another knife I have never seen before. Great looking knife ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

That's a very nice original Slim Coke Bottle Ralph! They must be scarce, at least in such nice condition. Whoever was in charge at Case in 1988 agreed 61113 is correct for a Slim Coke Bottle. 2,100 reproductions were made that year for the ABCA with amber Roger's bone. Their tang stamps were ROG61113 SS.

I'm not sure what task Slim Cokes were created for but they'd be better than most pocket knives for filleting fish. They are long and skinny enough to be carried in a front shirt pocket like a ball point pin. However, since they lack the pen's pocket clip they'll fall out if you bend over.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Modern Slip Joints
doglegg
MSJ and doglegg thank you for the compliments on the slim coke bottle. I will look for the ABCA reproduction. Examples from the Tested XX era are hard to find especially in good condition. It is pretty knife to look at - not sure how practical it would be to carry and use because of the length and slim profile.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

These are pictures of a Case Tested XX C61050L which is a lock back with a folding swing guard.
Attachments
Case Tested XX C61050 L C Front & Back.jpg
Case Tested XX C61050 L C Top & Bottom.jpg
Case Tested XX C61050 L C #3 small.jpg
Case Tested XX C61050 L C #4 small.jpg
slimtrap48

Post by slimtrap48 »

::tu:: That's a beauty Ralph!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”