Case "Christmas" plastic sides - celluloid ?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Lansky1

Case "Christmas" plastic sides - celluloid ?

Post by Lansky1 »

Every now and then I see a Case "Christmas" plastic sided knife ... these were mostly made in the 1990's. I'm sure at that time Case had to know about the issue of celluloid outgassing ... does anyone know if these "Christmas" knives had actual celluloid sides or were made of a more modern plastic ? Thx
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
junom

Re: Case "Christmas" plastic sides - celluloid ?

Post by junom »

Hi, I would take a wild guess and say that they aren't celluloid, I remember talking to someone who worked at Case xx he said they quit using it before the 1990's, but some Case xx select is advertise as celluloid, I have 3 or 4 of them and no sign of gassing, another but, I have had celluloid from 100 years ago, it just went one day and took 2 or 4 other knives with it what's strange is more than one old knife gassed at the same time,luckily no other knives were near by the others, something had to cause it, all my celluloid started going bad, in different parts of the house. I read a scientific paper on it, the end findings were that celluloid is like a time bomb.I just looked in a drawer it had a picture with a clear cover over it, it gassed so bad I almost didn't recognize it. George God bless P/S it makes me sick to look at it, I lost a lot of money and some of my favorite knives
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

junom wrote:Hi, I would take a wild guess and say that they aren't celluloid, I remember talking to someone who worked at Case xx he said they quit using it before the 1990's, but some Case xx select is advertise as celluloid, I have 3 or 4 of them and no sign of gassing, another but, I have had celluloid from 100 years ago, it just went one day and took 2 or 4 other knives with it what's strange is more than one old knife gassed at the same time,luckily no other knives were near by the others, something had to cause it, all my celluloid started going bad, in different parts of the house. I read a scientific paper on it, the end findings were that celluloid is like a time bomb.I just looked in a drawer it had a picture with a clear cover over it, it gassed so bad I almost didn't recognize it. George God bless P/S it makes me sick to look at it, I lost a lot of money and some of my favorite knives
sad story, but thx for the info ::tu::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I've started putting any knife I even suspect of being celluloid into its own sealed freezer ziplock bag. I figure that will either make it go quicker, or maybe protect it from going at all. Either way, it will hopefully protect any other nearby knives for at least a little while.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I've seen some antique celluloid wind up clocks with the case wrapped really bad. Know folks that quit collecting them but, I've seen many ladies dresser sets and combs and hair brushes with no problems.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”