Case G6265 SAB

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
SElliott

Case G6265 SAB

Post by SElliott »

New to forum...got a buddy that asked me about this one. Understanding what it is, the "G" has me lost...any ideas on what the G stands for? ::shrug::
Screenshot_20180606-134758.jpg
cody6268

Re: Case G6265 SAB

Post by cody6268 »

G? To me, it looks more like a backwards and upside down 3, which may have been accidentally been done when the numbers were put in the stamping die.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sorry, no idea.
But welcome to AAPK!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
SElliott

Post by SElliott »

I'll get a better pic..
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

SElliott wrote:New to forum...got a buddy that asked me about this one. Understanding what it is, the "G" has me lost...any ideas on what the G stands for? ::shrug:: Screenshot_20180606-134758.jpg
Welcome to the form.

Disfigured stamp or not, it is actually a "C" as in "Capped". Meaning there is a lower bolster on the knife opposite the end with the blades.

Think of it like this "C" prefix to model stamp or not...

Capped Jack has a lower bolster.

Barehead Jack has no lower bolster.

Other variations would be like this on say the CASE XX 31 pattern...

A CASE XX 6231 Capped Jack has a lower bolster.

A CASE XX 62031 Barehead Jack has no lower bolster.

Notice the zero in the middle of the handle/ # of blades and the pattern number? Indicates a change from original pattern. This knives have a zero or not to indicate capped or barehead.

This is not apples to apples since one is a 31 pattern (spear main) and one is a 31-1/2 pattern clip blade but it illustrates what I mean as far as capped versus barehead. Same frame, one capped and one barehead.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE TESTED XX 31 frames_mark side blades open.jpg
CASE TESTED XX 31 frames_mark side blades open.jpg (42.49 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
SElliott

Post by SElliott »

Ahhhh..I knew SOMEONE would have an answer! Been creeping this forum for a long time for answers, and just now joined. Thanks for the quick reply! ::tu::
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

zp4ja wrote:
SElliott wrote:New to forum...got a buddy that asked me about this one. Understanding what it is, the "G" has me lost...any ideas on what the G stands for? ::shrug:: Screenshot_20180606-134758.jpg
Welcome to the form.

Disfigured stamp or not, it is actually a "C" as in "Capped". Meaning there is a lower bolster on the knife opposite the end with the blades.

Notice the zero in the middle of the handle/ # of blades and the pattern number? Indicates a change from original pattern. This knives have a zero or not to indicate capped or barehead.

This is not apples to apples since one is a 31 pattern (spear main) and one is a 31-1/2 pattern clip blade but it illustrates what I mean as far as capped versus barehead. Same frame, one capped and one barehead.

Jerry
Nope...I have no idea why Case stamped the C ahead of the pattern number on that knife, but Case has never used the "C" designation on the 65 pattern folding hunter. They never would have a reason to since they never made the 65 as a "barehead". As far as I know the only Case pattern ever to actually use the "C" in the number was the C61050.

On that knife, whether its a C or a G, it is a mystery.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

knifeaholic wrote:
zp4ja wrote:
Welcome to the form.

Jerry
Nope...I have no idea why Case stamped the C ahead of the pattern number on that knife, but Case has never used the "C" designation on the 65 pattern folding hunter. They never would have a reason to since they never made the 65 as a "barehead". As far as I know the only Case pattern ever to actually use the "C" in the number was the C61050.

On that knife, whether its a C or a G, it is a mystery.

How embarrassing. You of course Steve are correct. Unknown what I was thinking. Got the two patterns mixed up. Besides incorrect pattern that has nothing to do with OP unfortunately, I believe I am correct about other data.
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
SElliott

Post by SElliott »

Well crap! Yet another mystery left unsolved...appreciate the education though, folks!...we'll keep fishin for the answer...anyone? ::groove::
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Jerry; your post was great, very detailed and informative about "capped" vs "barehead". Generally Case used the "middle zero" pattern designation for most patterns offered both ways - for example 6231 (capped) vs 62031 (barehead).

The C61050 and C61050 SAB are the only Case patterns that I am aware of that used the "C" to designate "capped".

My guess is that they used the C since the 050 pattern already had a middle zero, and the 0050 with two zeros was already used to designate a different variation of the 050 pattern.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
SElliott

Post by SElliott »

Is this better?
Is this better?
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

That is clearly a different character from the two "6" imprints. It is either a "G" or it is a 6 from a different tool. It also looks too well aligned with the other numbers (same vertical/horizontal spacing and same depth) to have been put on separately. I don't know anything about the 65 pattern - that's just what I see in the picture.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”