Case tang stamp

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Beag1eGal

Case tang stamp

Post by Beag1eGal »

Good morning everyone, me again.
Can you all help me please? I cannot figure out the Case tang stamp between 1993-1999.
It shows 8 dots beneath the Case. No matter how I count the years, I cannot come up with 8 years to equal the dots. I bought a peanut with 5 dots and I know it falls in here somewhere, but for the life of me I cannot figure these years. It is the long tail C, not lightning S stamp. Thank you for your patience with me.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-06-05-11-34-39.png
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Case tang stamp

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

*deleted my WRONG information* See picture farther down.

They don't always change the tang stamp on exactly Jan 1st, so there can be transition years where some have the old style tang stamp and some have the new style tang stamp.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

That helps so much. Thank you
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

All that info has been removed from CASE website.....I had it bookmarked. It's gone now....and the web address is changed too!
Boo!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

TripleF wrote:All that info has been removed from CASE website.....I had it bookmarked. It's gone now....and the web address is changed too!
Boo!
http://casexx.com/Library/TangStamp.asp
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Steve Warden wrote:
TripleF wrote:All that info has been removed from CASE website.....I had it bookmarked. It's gone now....and the web address is changed too!
Boo!
http://casexx.com/Library/TangStamp.asp
Still no good Steve....because on the old Case website you could click on it and a new twig would open showing the amount of dots
compared to the year......click on 1970 - 1979.....nothing happens, but ion the old Case site it used to open a new window.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
TwoFlowersLuggage

Yup I agree with TripleF. When I first saw that I immediately sent Case a nastygram informing them that was the ONLY reason I visited their web site!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Case introduced a new web site a couple of weeks ago - there was a thread about it here on AAPK at the time. Case is still working on migrating some of the features of the old site to the new one.

From my observation, as you would expect the new site is focused on sales of new knives, which is what keeps their lights on. The stuff that we collectors of older knives use, like "Case College", will get to the new site at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later. Specifically regarding the tang stamps page on the new site, a Case marketing rep posted on the Case Collector's Club forum on May 23 "We're working on it." They're just not there yet.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

90s Case dates like all of the rest, except they actually put dates on them into 93 I think.
A 5 dot is 95 4 dot is 96 and so on. Correct me if I’m wrong.It won't be the first time.
Kerry :D :D
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

The address Steven Warden posted, casexx.com/Library/TangStamp.asp, opened to a page with all the tang stamps for Folding, Hunting, Case Select, and Misc. tang stamps. This is part of the Shepard Hills Library. There are 6 different pages that can be opened on that site: Blade type, Jigging patterns, Anatomy of a knife, Pattern numbers, Secret code and Tang stamps.
Try it you'll like it, very helpful.
Thanks Steve! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TwoFlowersLuggage

Thanks to one of the great miracles of the internet, the page is archived at the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170704230 ... ng_stamps/

The page loads slowly, but if you let it load completely, the old pop-ups do work!!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

This OP picture is incorrect it should have only seven dots for 1993. I believe the change back to the dot system occurred in June of 1993 so there were some knives with the date early in the year and some with dots after June. Knives made in 2000 carries the new tang stamp with x's and dots.
Attachments
Incorrect
Incorrect
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TwoFlowersLuggage

Ahh - good eye Greg - I even counted them and still got it wrong! Here's the picture that used to be on the Case website:
2018-06-05_225816.png

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”