Cacnoe 2 springs

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
junom

Cacnoe 2 springs

Post by junom »

Hi, I have a two spring 1989 centennial , it feels like the blades are galling against the springs, is this common, I got rid of most of my canoes so I can only find single spring knives they seem to be all smooth, their all CV I think the 1989 is SS, the tang stamp is case xx above 1889 1989 so I really can't be sure, it looks like semi polished SS, maybe case used carbon springs. I don't think Case slacks the blades they all seem wobble free but I never had this problem before.when I got the knife I had to have opened it and checked it, it had to be smooth at that time I just put it in the safe and it's been there for 28 yrs.it's clean, but the more I open it the worse it gets. Thanks George God bless
junom

Re: Cacnoe 2 springs

Post by junom »

Sorry about the extra c in canoe, I suppose everyone knows what I'm asking. George God bless
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but if it were me, I'd start by blowing out any shavings or metal dust. If you don't have an air compressor, you can use a can of compressed air that is used for blowing out electronics, then simply reoil it. If the oil doesn't seem to work, try a little petroleum jelly, or at least a little heavier weight oil. If all else fails, it might be time to send it to Case or maybe one of the mechanics here for a full take down and evaluation of the problem. At any rate, I'd limit how many times you open and close it, it doesn't sound like it's going to work itself out.

WB
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Agree, nothing worse than spending time sharpening & first time you close the blade you get a bright shiny flat spot on the edge where it contacted the spring... ::facepalm:: Only remedy I could come up with is to buy a diamond burr for my dremel tool (can get them online or on ebay - her'es what I mean: https://www.micromark.com/3pc-Round-Tip ... d-Burr-Set) and take a little off the spring so there's enough clearance & the edge doesn't contact the spring when slamming shut. Its a good fix & works fine.
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

junom wrote:Sorry about the extra c in canoe, I suppose everyone knows what I'm asking. George God bless
You can fix it - just go to your original post, click on the little pencil icon in the upper right corner. This will re-open your original post in edit mode. Put your cursor in the title bar and change it! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”