Display

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
boykinlp

Display

Post by boykinlp »

Since I have bought a few knives, and plan on buying quite a few more, I want to get a display where I can enjoy looking at some that I have bought right now. I have seen the wood framed ones with the "Case Knife" etched glass front and like them very much. They are a bit pricey though. I don't know what the forum's rules are on posting a link to an item that is for sale, so I won't do it. Instead, I will describe something I found that is similar to the other one I described, but it is larger and considerably cheaper. It is made by Two Timbers and is 24" x 18" x 2" and says it will accommodate items up to one inch thick. I would have to add some cloth to put the knives on because it just has dark gray colored foam to put items on now. It obviously does not have the fancy etched glass. Have any of you folks tried one of these? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
rea1eye

Re: Display

Post by rea1eye »

Is this the one from Amazon? If it is, it looks real nice.

Don't know about posting a link- I have been wrong before so will let the moderators decide.

Bob
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

It is Bob. It looks nice to me too. I was just kinda worried about the "up to an inch" part. Most of the knives I have gotten so far are in the trapper size. If they were all pen knives, I would not give it a second thought. I am still hoping someone on the forum has first hand knowledge of how good or bad they work. :)
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

A late welcome to aarp Larry ::nod::
Being that you are primarily a Case Collector, you have most likely visited Smokey Mountain Knife Works? http://www.smkw.com
Their May 2018 catalog was just released. You can digitally download it from the above website.
Earlier in the week I received the Vol.1, 2018 Collectors Edition, 48 pages of "Case Only"
On page #28 you will see a "Illuminated Dome Display" (Pictured below) It only holds 6 knives, perhaps you can display your most treasured Case Stags in it.
Many new Case knives available, some very pricey, like the "Tony Bose" Abalone #CA7427 at $685.99 WHAT??? :shock:
And many not so pricey.
Please post some pictures of your Case Stage when time allows.
IMG_0011 (2).JPG
IMG_0010 (2).JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Dan are you trying to update your Medigap supplement or was that just a slip of the finger welcoming Larry to AARP? :D A big welcome from me as well Larry. I kind of like that domed and lighted display. Not a bad price either. I'll have to look that catalog over this weekend. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I need to lay some knives out inside a 18" x 24" rectangle and see how many would fit. Most of my collection are fairly small patterns, so I should be able to get quite a few in one case. Of course, if I get any wall displays, I will need to hang them at work, not in my house. I don't have a man-cave, and SWMBO is not known for being tolerant of my attempts at cave painting... ::smack::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

gsmith7158 wrote:Dan are you trying to update your Medigap supplement or was that just a slip of the finger welcoming Larry to AARP? :D A big welcome from me as well Larry. I kind of like that domed and lighted display. Not a bad price either. I'll have to look that catalog over this weekend. ::tu::
Greg, I would like to have blamed it on my Medigap update, even slip of the finger, but the truth is: Just prior to posting two of my old Pruning Knives in the "Old Pruning and Horticulture Knives" forum, my doorbell rang, as I opened the door, there was a young man with his family in tow, the wife was cradling a baby in her arms, they were from Jehovah's Witnesses, and making their neighborhood rounds and handling out some literature.
As I reached out for the literature I realized that I still had the 5-½" Pruning Knife in my left hand ::dang::. I did not try to explain, however I excused my self and put away my weapon. I thanked them for stopping by, they hurriedly departed, and will probably never return.
I am going to have to remember to make a final "Preview" prior to the "Submit" button.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

That's why I don't answer the door unless it is a delivery guy from UPS/Fedex/USPS/etc bringing me more knives!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I have no problem with you posting a link to an item that's under discussion. Just don't post a link to something you're trying to sell unless you have a premium membership.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Thanks Phil.

Here is a link to what I am looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Timbers-Coll ... splay+case

Pretty good price too, I think.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Dan,
You must be spying on me through my computer camera.:D I actually got a AARP invitation in the mail today.:shock: Your invitation to join almost pushed me over the top, but I decided not to join and am going to use that money to buy stag Case knives instead. I have been to the smkw website recently and ordered a catalog from them.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:I need to lay some knives out inside a 18" x 24" rectangle and see how many would fit. Most of my collection are fairly small patterns, so I should be able to get quite a few in one case. Of course, if I get any wall displays, I will need to hang them at work, not in my house. I don't have a man-cave, and SWMBO is not known for being tolerant of my attempts at cave painting... ::smack::
Do it, and take some pictures, so I will know too! I love pictures. I actually had to look up what SWMBO stands for!:D LOL.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Larry I welcome you also to AAPK. I believe that SMKW carries the same kind of case and it may be a little cheaper than $89. I am not sure but I will go look.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

https://www.smkw.com/solid-oak-display- ... 8-x-12-x-2
It is a little smaller. They have different colors as well as far as the inserts are concerned. They also have different styles. Go to their website and search displays. Several different ones came up.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Landersknives wrote:https://www.smkw.com/solid-oak-display- ... 8-x-12-x-2
It is a little smaller. They have different colors as well as far as the inserts are concerned. They also have different styles. Go to their website and search displays. Several different ones came up.
Ed,
Thanks for the help. I actually ordered one from Amazon last Friday. It should be here later this week. Now just to get some knives to fill it up. Well, with it's size, I just need to get enough so it doesn't look barren.:D
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I have several of that type of display case although mine are smaller than the one in your link. I think they are very handy for storing and showing off knives. They don't take up too much room in my safe either.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

My experience with this display case provider has been good. They have a nice selection of sizes and woods.

http://www.bluegrasscase.com/products.php?cat=5&pg=2

If you are getting a case 12x18 or larger and are planning on filling it up, then I recommend the 3 inch deep. The 2 inch deep ones filled with knives puts a lot of pressure on the back of the case. They have a wood selection of dark oak, light oak, walnut, cherry, and cedar. If you intend to hang it on a wall, then I would recommend against cedar.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”